OK, fried Jenny blues AGAIN!! Made a dump run today, and when I stopped to see our room mate for a moment the gen light was on when I shut her down. So I popped the hood and rapped on the regulator a few times to no avail. So I climbed up and disconnected the wires to the jenny. As I'm doing this I see wisps of smoke coming from the pulley vents and it smells like hot solder. Joy! I never got the end plate or wide pulley for my spare jenny, so I'm purdy well skroo'd, & y'all dont wanna know what it cost me last time this happened seein as I had to have the armature re-wound. & of course my tags are due by the end of the month. It's flippin criminal, I tell ya,...
What I wanna know is there a way to swap out these old relay regulators for a solid state type with no moving parts. Keep the original look without the original pain in the butt relays. I dont have the pennies to spare to buy lunch most days, so gettin one of those spiffy PowerGEN alternators that look like the OEM parts is out of the question. I may have to break down (no pun intended) and convert her over to an internaly regulated alternator, I just wanted to keep her looking as stock as possible.
I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P