Some new images to share of the current state of 'Tater.
Pic of the nose all stripped down And here's yesterdays damages in work. Had to remove the hub, drum, & wheels as one unit so this is kind of a "how-to" series on takin apart the rear hub.
I started by pulling the
hub cover off, and pull out the drive axle. Once thats out of the way you can see the
outer nut and locking tabs. From there you want to bend the tab back, and loosen the locking nut with a spanner wrench (or a hammer & punch like I did). Remove the nut, locking tab piece, and loosen & remove the inner nut, and finally remove the thrust washer,
as seen in this photo. Since I'm doin this with the wheels still on, this is what was tricky. I jacked the truck up enough so I could fit my
motorcycle jack under both tires and take the weight off the bearings. Since I had plenty of clearance around the brake shoes,
it rolled right off , easy as you please.
Loaded the whole thing up & carted it off to the tire shop to be dissasembled.
Have some light heat cracking in the rear drums, but like the front there's not alot of wear and the shows look really good. Unlike the front wheel cyclenders, the rears look like I just need to hone them a little, some light pitting & the rubber parts look pretty new. On the right side anyway, ran out of time & didn't get the left shoes & cyclenders off before the shop closed. Gotta wait till Thursday to get back to it now.
I did bring home all off the wheels, drums, & hubs so I can clean them up & apply some paint as needed, so I'll be busy enough over the next two days.
Fun stuff!!