Dropped the head off at the shop to be stripped, cleaned, & magnafluxed. Also geting the broken end studs pulled out and having the manifold surface shaved. Overall the head looked OK, but we noticed that 5 of the springs were installed upside down.

The engine is almost entirely stripped down. just have to pop the mains, pull the crank, & remove the cam & it's done.
After some work with the ridge reamer the pistons dropped out without a hitch. I noticed all the pistons are marked with a 30, so I'm assuming they are 30-thou oversize. #2 has some pretty bad pitting where some water built up on the piston, so I dont think I can get away with a hone & ring job on this deal. Also, I know I shaved off more than 10 with the ridge reamer, so I have to wonder, whats the max I can over bore one of these pigs?
I know they have pretty low compression so they can stand to lose a bit, and this isn't gonna be a screamer motor, but still, like to be safe. Someone was saying they could lose 120, I cant imagine finding pistons & rings to fit that is gonna be easy, or cheap for that matter. Can I overbore it to 1.25" & use 292 pistons? Any help would be a good thing.
Pokin around lookin for parts for the old I6 is an exercise in patience. Have found some good info on casting #'s, but no source of pistons.
I can wait on the tranny, but the engine I definately need to get back together soon. I can already tell this is gonna be fun! :p


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P