Boy does time fly when you've got other things to do, and a mortgage to cover....

Making some progress on the cab for the first time in about 2 years!
Previously I had removed the hump in the center of the firewall to let it fit over the engine. The original plan was to simply widen this hump about 6" and put it back in, so that's what I've started to do.
Bent up a piece of 16 ga cold rolled 6" wide to match the contour of the firewall.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2442856940080251109WGTPJB
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2631508230080251109GCacnQ

Butted the pieces together and tack welded it enough to allow test fitting in the cab, final welding comes later.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2702200650080251109OQrOKX
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2310806860080251109ZpaKEH

It fits quite nicely. A little more room necessary around the buffer switch on the governor but I can deal with that.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2474732250080251109MNuvdM

Now the tricky part is figuring out how to remake the lower portion so it clears.
Here's a test with a piece of cardboard, just trim and fold until it looks OK. The two things it needs is a large enough transmission cover so the bellhousing can slide straight back for transmission removal and about an inch more room for the flywheel housing.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2675067210080251109yeRrGo

Next steps are to finish welding the 6" extension then fit the panel back in the firewall, scribing and trimming so it can be but welded as if it were never removed.
With that in for good I'll scratch my head some more and figure out the lower part of the firewall and how to blend it into the existing firewall and look mostly factory.
Then I'll make a new transmission cover and it needs a slight hump to clear the bellhousing, nothing fancy.

If anyone's good with creating/forming curvy sheet metal pieces and wants to swing by some evening/weekend I'd be glad to have the help!

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-