Made some upper brackets for my air helper springs this week
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/69/469/3/17/20/2533317200080251109MtVHuI_th.jpg[/IMG]
They use the existing holes from the axle bumpers
The bottom brackets came with the air bags when I removed them from an RV chassis with the exact same axle (4" axle tubes).
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/58/758/8/56/98/2651856980080251109LSnfpj_th.jpg[/IMG]

The chassis/truck should have a 15,000 lb GVW, as trucks with my exact axles are rated at 15,000. My frame, and VIN tag are good for 16,000 lb. The rear springs are only slightly stiffer than 1 ton springs, so with the addition of the air helpers that are good for 5,000 lb a pair I should have enough springs to carry the max load allowed. I still want to add air helpers to the front axle, but have not found the right bags yet.

Also this week I finished my brake lines, so I have brakes now.
Drove down to the neighbors and back, and it drives pretty well. Without all the sheet metal on it it's neat to watch everything function, and easy to see I need front shocks...

If I get a chance this weekend I'll do a drive by shifting through the gears as someone makes a video.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-