Hey Grigg;
now it is all coming back to me on those pony motors. I have busy working on the Diamond T. I acquired (thanks to e-bay) a briggs and stratton model "N" with a lever start, a kellog compressor (from a friend) and I am working on getting a period tank for the air. his set up was nestled behind teh wrecker body and was used to air up tires. Once installed it is a tight fit, I think they used a lever start to lessen the chances of the operator wacking his arm into the wrecker frame. I did have a nice "score" today. I went to my local Valley Gases store and asked the counter guy how I could acquire an acetlyne bottle for my wrecker (for display purposes only) as I alreay have a 1942 daed oxeygen bottle. He asked "for display only" I said "yep" he said today was my luckiy day as he had a 1972 dated bottle that was going to the scrap yard. A few peenies later it was in my truck. The counter man told me that bottles have to get tested every ten years, if they do not have current date on them they will nit fill them. My other option was to lease a bottle for $55.00 p/year.

John


1942 G5106 1.5-ton Chevy cargo dump Gallery page




Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
T/Sgt. Gott (28 years of service with the USPP)
1940 Chevy G506 4112 cargo dump
1942 Diamond T G509 969A 4 ton wrecker
1942 Ward LaFrance G116 series 2 10 ton wrecker
1944 Ward LaFrance G116 series 5 10 ton wrecker
1931 Ford AA with a WEAVER crane
1944 Sterling HC 165 tractor
1944 Autocar U7144T w/ 10 ton trailer