OK, here is the video of it running after a long hibernation, only took all day to upload..
Spence, Thanks, the axle is from a Chevy 3500HD, mid 90's. Steering gear box is 78 IH Scout II. Front axle would need to be narrowed around 10", also drag link and tie rod the same.
Grigg
Hi Grigg, So you actually narrowed the front axle? I'm trying to figure out how to do a disc brake conversion on my '48 2-ton flatbed, and I saw something you had on using a P30 spindle with disc brakes? I'm having a crazy hard time finding ANY resources on the old 2-tons. I want to re-do the brake system since the current one is shot, but I want to convert to disc brakes since I can't seem to find parts for the drums. In the process I'm like to swap out the split rims for one piece. At first I figured a modern dually swap in the rear would be easy, but I still have to figure out a solid axle swap that's narrow enough not to cut for the front to upgrade to a modern Chevy 8-lug. Now I'm thinking I might keep the 10-lug, but find more modern wheels, and find a panel truck disc brake and spindle set-up so that I can get off the shelf parts. I plan to just put a 5.3l v8 couples with a NV4500 transmission in the truck, but the inboard steering box may present some exhaust routing issues. The big problem I'm trying to solve before I do anything is the axles and brakes, and then new wheels and tires after that's sorted. I'm hoping to learn what I can off of your build to apply to my build. I got pretty discouraged and was contemplating dumping the project until I found this thread. Any suggestions you can pass along would be hugely appreciated! Nice work on the build by the way!