It runs!!! dance

First off, here is the first picture in the newest bunch of six or eight I just uploaded, they show transmission swap, air lines, tanks, and plumbing.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2943974900080251109yQISIL
click the link for the first picture, then "next" to view more new ones.

Got my list of things done on the truck today, and this evening we were ready for the first starting attempt with the engine in this chassis, it has been quite a long time in the making.

Once I thought I had everything ready, water, oil, no leaks, and so on.. I held the fuel shutoff lever closed on the governor so the engine would not try to start, then cranked it over for the first time with the air starter.
The tanks I have add up to about 62 gallons, I started with not quite 100 psi in them, and it stopped cranking with 30 psi (because there was not enough pressure to hold the relay valve open). Total of 10 seconds of cranking time. no obvious problems, so I refilled the air tanks.

This time I let the engine have fuel, so it would try to start. With 120 psi in the tanks I figured it had a good chance, as that is over 10 seconds of cranking time..
I pushed the button, and with in a second or so it fired and continued to run, then in no time it had oil pressure. Still all looks good, no leaks or problems.

I have VIDEO of both the air starter exercise, and the very first starting of the 4-53T in the 48 6400. Uploading the first now, I'll post the YouTube link once it finishes. I'll also try to upload the starting one, but it is long enough I may need to go in town to a faster Internet connection before I can do that. I'll post the link here once it is uploaded.

This is fun! grin Past few months I have been frustrated many times working on the truck, but now I can't remember why I was... headscratch

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-