Last few weeks I have been trying to plan for and make the plumbing for my intercooler; that I don't have, makes sense right?

Lets start with a picture of the left side of the engine with both the air inlet for the blower (supercharger), and the starter (we'll get to the starter in a minute).
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/99/35/2998699350080251109rqhYEk_th.jpg[/IMG]
The blower in in the middle of the left side of the engine, and it has an air inlet housing that points up and over the engine where a crossover pipe from the turbocharger should be. I want this to point forward so I can get air from an air to air intercooler that will be mounted in front of the radiator.

It's tight on that side, the air compressor hangs out there enough that I don't want to make the inner fender suffer any more by trying to get this 2.5" air pipe beside it. So it looks like I can go under the air compressor, beside the steering gear box, and just over the top of the frame rail. making a perfect shot for the space under the core support where the intercooler outlet will be. Only complication being the 1.25" air line feeding the starter, it is squarely in the way:
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/66/666/2/39/45/2422239450080251109xwRdKP_th.jpg[/IMG]

So I got to thinking how can I move the air inlet pipe for the starter, it was hard enough to figure out the first time, looks doubtful that I can do any different. I checked my spare but newer model air starter to see if it was the same arrangements, and it is, but it looks like I could modify it.
Then I called the air starter folks near me http://www.cvisairstarters.com/ and inquired if Ingersoll Rand makes a different end housing for either one of my starters that would allow for the air to come straight in the end and inline with the starter, no such thing. I asked if they had any other ideas, and they suggested several different starters all together, but in the end we decided I am stuck with the one I have because of it's offset gear reduction, which is why I got this air starter in the first place, it actually fits. They also did not think I could make a new cover/inlet, as it was complicated inside in how it directed the air to the turbine, they had no other ideas. I thought it looks pretty simple, so I pulled it and took a look, dead simple. Here is the old end cover and the new one, and the new one installed on the new turbine type starter, as opposed to the vane type I have in the truck now:
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/68/168/3/51/98/2138351980080251109mbAAAH_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/60/660/7/96/94/2296796940080251109fqDPkS_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/60/660/3/19/64/2479319640080251109qjIGjb_th.jpg[/IMG]

Then I needed to make the air inlet housing to fit the blower and point forward. Also has to fit around the bypass valve that will be in the front end plate of the blower when I rebuild and update it. The bypass valve is one of the later improvements by Detroit Diesel for economy and HP, it lets the turbocharger air bypass around the blower when the turbo is making enough boost, this saves some parasitic loss of turning the blower, as it can work less. The new valve and end plate is here: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2039488110080251109XQSvcl
Here is the step by step of the blower inlet, and not quite done yet. The green one is like the original, the yellow is for a non turbocharged engine, but is shaped closer to what I need if I turn it upside down, the 2.5" aluminum tube will be the lower part of the new blower inlet housing. The idea is to have it look like a factory cast part when done, so smooth and radiused and no visible welds.
[IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/24/665/8/96/23/2337896230080251109GhRFPi_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/60/660/7/48/73/2762748730080251109GxegnH_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/69/169/7/99/29/2422799290080251109dlJazD_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/69/169/2/39/42/2938239420080251109eEEZeM_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/24/665/1/43/15/2257143150080251109sIuCWR_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/68/168/1/5/79/2535105790080251109KiQpvz_th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/60/660/8/57/88/2566857880080251109vmngbq_th.jpg[/IMG]

This weekend I hope to get the starters switched out, have to disassemble both part way to interchange/reuse the fine tooth pinion gear, and to orient the new one so it fits. It'll be Tuesday before I get the Code 61 flange kit (hydraulic hose kind of connection) to connect the air line to the starter, and I am curios what this new turbine starter sounds like compared to the vane type.
Also hope to get the blower inlet done, I have to make a tool to form a bead in the end of the 2.5" tube to help the hose stay on, get that to work, and then weld it to the inlet housing casting.

Next on the list is to rebuild the blower, I already have all the parts, and a friend lined up to help who has done it a few times already. Then plumb temporary air crossover pipe in front of the radiator.

In the distant future is fitting the cab around the engine, then inner fenders, front sheet metal, intercooler, AC condenser, electric fan, and shroud if I can.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-