Well Koolkar, you have some excelent points, and ones I have thought about. Here is my thought process:
Because of the way the frame tapers in at the front on the AD trucks the starter hit the frame, and would have required removing most all of the top flange for about 6" to get it to fit, not an option. The air starter fit because of the gear reduction off sets the air motor from centerline, and it can be bolted to the nose housing in many different positions, I was able to clock the starter to within about 1/2" of the block, and 3/4" or more of the frame.
I had heard rumors of a small gear reduction electric starter that "may" have worked, but no one had one around so I could see or try one, and they are over $500, then add shipping, and return shipping if it did not work.
I had seen first hand a few IR starters, and had a good idea it would fit. Then called around to get my hands on one, a local guy had a truck with the whole system which I removed and bought for not much money, although the starter turned out to be shot, it confirmed my theory, and I got my money back by turning it in as a core to a local air starter shop. Then found a rebuilt one on ebay for cheap.
Because my truck has a Roadranger it needs a little air to shift. That could have been handled with a small electric compressorm but I don't like the idea, noise, or possible short life and expense. An engine driven compressor was available for my engine, would provide air for transmission, the starter, and extra for tools and tires.
Because my starter is so much bigger than it needs to be it will spin it up very quick and at a fast rpm, and only take a second or less to start the engine (faster and more starts than a semi truck engine with the same starter and air available). 40 gallons would probably be enough, and I have 75. In the winter I may set the governor on the compressor for a higher pressure than in the summer. As a backup I have instaled a 10 speed hillside starter

and plan to have a 20lb Co2 tank which is good for 3 or 4 refils of my entire system (75 gallons) from 0 to 150 psi.
I probably should have used an electric one if it fit, but the air will be fine, and different, which is another good thing, as I don't need to have a truck just like everyone else's truck....

Grigg