Jerry.....and anyone with some ideas:

Well, I put the new starter in, and she started right up, no problem. Today I did the real test of driving her, getting her warm, and turning off the engine, and then trying to start.

Took the truck to the landfill with a load of trash, and I was so confident that my problems were over that I backed in, and turned the engine off. Unloaded the trash cans, and hoped in the seat to start, and I got was a "errrrr........errr........er". Barely turned over. Sounded as if the battery was almost dead. A lady gave me a jumpstart, and even with her big truck running, the starter was having a hard time turning over......but finally she started up.

Drove her home with no issue.....the engine sounds and seems to run fine, although there is a bit of hesitation (time to clean the points, adjust the dwell). When I got home, I left the engine idling while I checked the battery voltage. Once again, she was over-charging......at idle she was reading 14.8 volts and when I increased the RPMs to around 2000, she read 15.5 volts. When I shut off the engine, the battery read 13.7. 10 minutes later the battery was at 12.8.

So, I know that the voltage regulator is adjusted too high....I need to try to tweek that down.

So, the old starter was working fine......the new starter has the exact same symptons......starts fine with a cold engine, but does not want to start with a warm engine. (Note: Engine oil pressure is great....starts off high, but as the oil warms up the pressure goes to the normal area (gauge a bit past the middle notch). The water temp runs cool, barely getting up into the normal range. I was also watching the volt meter, and at times it would jerk to the right, showing above-average charging going on, and I was not running any electrical items.

Is it possible that the solenoid and starter does not like having 15 volts of juice flowing into it?

Also, I did a load test on the battery last week, and it showed it was getting into the weak range, but not in the "bad" range. I also did the cranking test for 30 seconds, and the volts dropped to 9.35, which is still good.

So, any ideas as to what could be going on? Is there something internal that could be heating up and then causing the engine to turn hard?

H E L P..........


Keep the rusty classics going.