Update......Jerry, I did the cranking test for 30 seconds, and had the voltmeter resting on the windshield so I could read it. It dropped down to 9.35 volts at the lowest during the cranking.....so, it seems to still have some life in it.
I took off the old starter and made an attempt at putting the new one on......it absolutely drove me crazy since the 3 bolts did not want to quite line up. I scrambled from underneath the truck with the new starter and did a thorough comparison with the old starter using a micrometer. The 3 bolt holes matched, and they even machined the middle one a bit more so it could pivot some (and I guess stand a better shot at fitting). So, it seemed that it should fit. However, no go after several frustrating attempts. Finally I examined the two starters and the new one has more cast iron for the solenoid connection area, and it was made 1/4" closer to the starter nose. That little bit of a change caused it to rub on the engine block, and would not allow the bolts to go in. What a pizzer! So, now I have to try to find a manufacturer that makes the old style to fit my 69 Chevy 307.
Any suggestions if Advance Auto cannot find a better fit?