I just can't believe that some of the sharpest minds in the automotive realm haven't cracked this case. We've been fighting this since January.
Dwight, starters that come from the large rebuilders are not built back using the same internals they came in with. They are stripped down to bare cases and the internals are thrown into bins to be cleaned and refurbished. Then they are placed back in bins to be drawn from during the rebuilding process. I doubt any part is original to the case. I've seen the brush holders broken by the time the starter reaches the retailers shelf. It was not uncommon to find one dragging so bad after a rebuild that it did exactly what you describe. Car would start just fine when cold but after the starter got some heat in it the drag was so bad the starter would not turn at all.
Shurly there is an old time starter/alternator shop close by! Drive the truck there and let them check it while it's hot. The few bucks spent might just save you on aspirin expenses. You have been super on keeping us updated as have all the helpers offering suggestions.
