69 Cuda......Nope,no heat shield between headers and starter. But the headers are pretty far away from the solenoid/starter. Never had this problem over the past 25 years, and the headers have been on that long.
I actually thought that the No. 6 plug wire that was resting on the solenoid was electrically heating up the solenoid as I was driving the truck, and that caused the problem. But after putting the plug wire back on the plug (definately made her run smooth again), she still does not want to turn over when the engine is warm. Also, the temp gauge is not getting hot....just stays on the cool side of normal.
All the parts are now old.....so, it could be anything from the solenoid, starter, voltage regulator, coil, or even the battery (but the battery is newer).
Do you know if the valves are adjustable on the 1969 307V8? If they are, then I still think that maybe the exhaust is heating up, and then not letting gasses escape properly, and hence the engine does not want to crank when warm.