Well, I am back with an update.
Some time ago I had finally tuned the Voltage Regulator so she was no longer charging way up over 15 volts. I got it to where the battery was only reading around 12.8 volts after a 15 minute drive. Since I do not use lights, radio, or anything electric other than the rear brake lights, I felt that this charge rate was ample enough.
When cold, the truck started with a ton of cranking power, and fired right up and ran fantastic during my last 20 minute test run. When I got home, I let the engine idle while I checked the battery.....and it read around 12.8 volts. I then turned off the engine and tried to re-start. Like usual, the engine barely turned over, and then stopped, and did not want to crank and start up.
I am pretty dern perplexed at this point....what can the problem be? To sum up the prior posts, I have replaced the starter, solenoid, battery, battery cables, and cleaned electrical grounds and battery terminals. She has fresh points, plugs, plug wires, condensor, and distrib. cap.
I had a 2 cylinder lawn mower that acted the same way....when she got hot, she began to run poorly and get hot. When I shut her down, and tried to restart, the engine would not roll over. Turned out that the valves were out of adjustment on the mower....adjusted them and problem was solved. However with the 69 C-10, it has hydraulic lifters, so how in the world could the valves be out of adjustment?
Surely someone has the $64,000 answer to this problem I am having. Any guesses?