I picked up the '48 in Sherburn MN in March of 2007 from a long time friend and business acquaintance. The call started out discussing A/C systems for a project at work, which lead to home projects. His daughter had an Audi Quattro that I was interested in for parts (turned out to be wrong year). Then his 1970 Impala convertible came up (which I still may pick up). Lastly, he asked if I wanted a truck. So I said, what kind of truck. He said '48 5-window chevy, completely torn apart, drivetrain and running gear were sold a long time ago, sitting in the garage for the past 15 years, wife wants the garage back. Yours for Free. So I said Heck yeah, planned a trip the same weekend Margaret was at the Mall of America (easier to ask forgiveness than ask for permission - cost me $300 in fuel and a new ring for Margaret).
Then while picking up parts for that truck, I picked up a fairly clean cab and front clip in Denver from a fellow bolter for a little over $300, spent $900 on fuel, food, and hotel (cash from selling the pair of 1940 chevrolets). This became Frankentruck.
What has been sunk into them is another matter.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me