In 1980 I paid $100 for my '56 GMC 3/4 ton. i got it from a restoration carpenter who made me promise to paint it the original forest green. 29 years later, I painted it forest green (a '56 Chevy color) only to discover that the actual color was Delta Green, with Panama Cream trim. I had already taken the front bumper to a paint jobber to have the cream matched (nice original color under a bumper guard) Next coat of paint will be Delta. Forest is close, but no cigar. The drive from Long Island to Mass was memorable- could not shut it off as starter was unpredictable, king pins almost frozen "don't worry, it steers hard but won't seize on you" It did not, but I was lucky. Truck nearly left the road with each bump (a front spring shackle was broken). There you go- best hundred I ever spent on a vehicle.


Well, my time went so quickly,
I went lickety-splitly
Out to my ol' 55.
As I pulled away slowly,
Feelin' so holy,
God knows, I was feelin' alive..... Tom Waits, Ol' 55