Back in 1978 I bought my ‘48 3100 from an old guy named Bill in Ava, Illinois. He was a retired welder and it was his fishing truck. It was a mess. Being a welder, h’d welded anything back on that fell off or came loose: the running boards were welded to the fenders; the fenders were welded to the bedsides; the bumpers were welded to the bumper brackets that he’d welded to the frame; etc. He said it burned a little oil and that the brakes only worked on one corner. My road test was in a cloud of blue smoke and once around the block was enough to condemn the brakes. He wanted $200. I offered him $150. He snuffed out his unfiltered Camel between his calloused fingers, looked me square in the eyes, and barked at me something that I’ll never forget: “Sonny, any truck that runs is worth $200. Take or leave it!” I tucked my tail between my legs.....best $200 I ever spent. Still have that truck to this day, albeit somewhat improved....


1948 5-window 3100 Chevy
327 V-8 TBI 700R4 Posi 3.73
"Old Blue"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr