Today I performed the pressure test on the cooling system. The cobbled up T for the heater hoses worked fine but plugging the radiator hoses was difficult. The stuff I bought to pligiug the upper hose didn't work/fit. The cap I bought for the lower hose was too big but the one for the upper fit in.

I luckily found a reducer with a threaded end lay+ing on a shelf in the plumbing dept of my mom's barn. Unbelievably I rummaged through a box of random sink and drain crap in another box and found a threaded cap that fit the reducer. It just fit the inside diameter of the upper hose.
I turned on the garden hose with 55psi and let it sit for over an hour.

It more or less held that pressure for over an hour. Spinning the starter multiple times did not squirt water out of the spark plug holes. I was able to look into the cylinders pretty well and saws no evidence of wetness.

So, no hard evidence of exhaust gases leaking into cooling system.

Oh ya, by the way, the loaner cooling system pressure test kit from Advance Auto which has "adapters to fit all the most common radiator caps and filler necks" did not have any that fit the 1941 Harrison radiator. Is this some sort of uncommon, oddball size? Well, it's identical to the one on the 1995 F-150, 1964 Galaxie 500, 1976 F-150, 1956 Cadillac, and probably almost every car made up to at least 2000 or so.

On the plus side, it was $311 deposit. I immediately received $35 in Speed Bucks coupons for Advance Auto. I'm sure I can find $35 worth of stuff I need.

Anyway, I pulled the radiator and water pump since I was out of other ideas.

Both look pretty good. Radiator has evidence of seepage. I'll have my guys give it the treatment.

I've never seen a water pump with such lamo impeller fins. Are they supposed to look like that or have they been worn down to nubs? Other than that it looks brand new and has no play in the bearing. Should I send it to the Flying Dutchman? Buy a new one?
Attachments
IMG_20240714_113756270.jpg (96.18 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20240714_132223827.jpg (103.7 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20240714_134421557.jpg (108.33 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20240714_165454765.jpg (191.86 KB, 149 downloads)
IMG_20240714_165507015.jpg (215.17 KB, 148 downloads)
IMG_20240714_165533595.jpg (57.46 KB, 148 downloads)
IMG_20240714_175318683.jpg (187.39 KB, 147 downloads)
IMG_20240714_175839720.jpg (95.1 KB, 146 downloads)
IMG_20240714_175337937.jpg (142.2 KB, 146 downloads)
IMG_20240713_103359749_HDR.jpg (94.31 KB, 140 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 07/15/2024 3:29 AM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)