Originally Posted by tclederman
Most likely someone will post that the Pertronix unit is unreliable (chingadera?).

I have two (a 12v and a 6v) that have been reliable for 10+ years.

I also carry a spare distributor (fully tuned and ready to pop in) just in case the Pertronix unit fails.
Good plan on the spare distributor, Tim! Just carrying a set of points in the glove box won't help you if the Pertronix fails. You will need different wires, the old wire insulator, the special tool to tighten the weird nut which holds the insulator on, and a new coil if the Pertronix failed due to leaving the ignition on without the engine running. Found that out the hard way. Fortunately it was in front of the house. I am running points now, and my performance is not as good as with the Pertronix.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission