Interseting read with good pros and cons for both sides and it seems to boil down to oersonal preference. I've had my 54 pickup since 78, and have had noreal issuses with point ingition other than a couple ccondenser s die, a contact tab that fell of a new set of points in the middle of nowhere. I did have the old set in my tool box. And the coil gave up. I went to 12v many years ago and it has been ok execpt for one condenser failure. However, 3 years ago I decided to go with the gm 250 hei conversion and I believe that has been one of the best upgrades I've done in years, simply because itstarts much better, runs smoother at an idle and it does have better acceleration response. I am not one for monitoring fuel milage, it does ok and it is what it is. About 5 years ago I put a pertonix setup in a friends 52 gm with a 261, it lasted all of 50 miles and burnt to a crisp. They wouldnt go good on warranty so back to points and condenser. For what it is worth I put a used hei in my truck, cost...40 bucks an hour to modify the shaft and fab up new hold down clamp, another hour to time it and road test and tweek it some more, adjust the carb a bit, and its all good......just my musings.