About 2 yrs and 8K miles ago I changed the dist on my 72 air cooled 1600DP VW engine to a Hot Spark electronic dist. Hot Spark is a Chinese knockoff of the Pertronix and so far it works OK. To be truthful I can't tell any difference in performance. The original dist that was on the engine was an "009" type that doesn't include vac adv and was primarily for high performance engines. To cure a hesitation problem I needed to change it to a dist w/vac adv and in the process I went pointless. I carry that 009 with points installed and set in my road tool box for just in case.
With all that said I also saw the opportunity to lessen my scheduled maintenance regime by getting away from points but it's rare that I'm not out and about and not think about the Hot Spark failing at the absolute worst time..... S0 I carry that backup dist w/points and necessary tools.....

I have no plans top change the points dist in the 216 on my 49 3100 as that engine starts and runs remarkably well. I'm not going to fix it if it ain't broke.
But I do want to build a high performance 235 or 261 on down the road and I'll cross the dist road when I get to it. As everyone knows chrome and polished aluminum adds HP grin
Good discussion
Dave