This may sound weird, but that's because I said it.. The Amish drive John Deere tractors around here to plow their fields, but when it comes to the wife going to the grocery store, she has to take the buggy and horses... OR she can take the tractor. Funniest thing this ENGLISHMAN has ever seen is a grocery store parking lot filled with Tractors.

What does this have to do with points/condenser vs HEI? You do the math. This isn't to say I am leaning either way. My very favorite vehicle of all time because so happens I was 15 and my dad helped me decide... was the 1973 AMC Gremlin. It had a 232 6 cylinder in it.. very reminiscent of the 235/261 and had points and condenser. I learned all about dwell, setting the points, everything. As a dumb kid, I then trashed the 232 and installed a 304 V8 (actually an option on the Gremlin) from a Javelin and it too had points and condenser. HEI is totally foreign to me.

This is something I would really like to sort out, so everyone please state your opinion honestly. As some of you have already. Thanks and keep it coming! We did without cell phones, we did without computers, several thousand years ago we lived without round wheels. Our teenage daughters are now trackable via GPS due to the cell phone, on the other hand, our teenage daughters are now trackable via GPS due to the cellphone. wink

I am looking for a more trouble free, smoother running engine that isn't tasked more by the choking, spitting and backfiring that can happen when points are worn, and condensers fail. It puts undue pressure on the engine parts when its not 'happy'. HEI purportedly makes the engine 'happy' more of the time.

Not true? I want to hear everything because I am totally undecided. I tend to agree with Ed about tinkering.. I love to tinker, only problem is, I have 8 trucks that I tinker with so too much of anything can be annoying. Thanks all!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet