HEI or Points....OK I will bite.
HEI, Good,
Better spark at the plug.
Consistent timing.
Set and forget.
Bad,
Bad connection, No spark.
Bad component, No repair, replace only.
No parts at local FLAPS if not OEM.
Set and forget. Yep both good and bad.
More $ initial outlay.

Points,
Good,
You set.
You fix.
Parts at local FLAPS.
Good spark.
Lasts, about 3 to 5 thousand miles.
Can be adjusted if need be.
Bad,
Mechanical, not as stable.
Water is not your friend.
Less Spark.
You have to set and adjust. Yep both good and bad.

I have both in old trucks. Easy upgrade and generally reliable. Routine checks and maintenance will make both work longer. Personal choice as far as I can tell. Does any one make an HEI in 6 volts? Can you hide it so no one can tell? Do you care?

Why does HEI quit? When it is new look for what I call "infant mortality". Electronic parts most likely to fail early. Later? bad connection or bad voltage. The electronics don't like current changes. Set and forget will allow rotor and cap to wear too long and might make you forget to lube the dizzy. That shaft starts to wobble and stuff will break. You think point gap is critical? Try a bad air gap, and, it is smaller.
Your truck, your choice.


Steve H