Bill brings up an interesting note, "preventive maintenance". Its been about 40 years since new GM vehicles came with breaker point ignition. When those vehicles were in everyday use having a tune-up done was nothing out of the oridinary, it was just something that had to be done. I will say that the first Chevrolet pickups my Dad bought for his fleet caused plenty of headaches with the trouble with the new HEI ignition. As I noted in my earlier post I commented about each different application. For me I stick with the original points and condenser in my Chevrolet's. I do have a Pertronix in my '47 F**d Tudor, the flathead has its distributor on the front of the motor and uses 2 set of points. And to properly install and adjust the points in a flathead the distributor needs to be put in a fixture or use a distributor machine. It took me a lot of time to finally get the Pertronix dialed in and working so the guys that caution making the switch bring up a good warning flag.
Don