In the interests of fairness, since I have mentioned issues with electronics I have experienced; will also mention the one time I had problems with points:

About 50 miles from home and cruising along at about 65 when the engine died.

Had gas, no spark.

Pulled distributor cap, and found points contactor arm BROKEN in half. Didn't have a spare set of points (about 22 at the time).

Rummaged around in the trunk and found an old piece of baling wire. And had a bottle of wooden matches in the glove box. Carefully cut two wooden matches to fit the back side of the contactor arm, and spliced it together with the wire. Set the dwell using a dime for reference.

Tried the key, and the engine started. It took us about an hour and a half to get home, but we DID get home, WITHOUT walking.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop