Czechman, you are essentially right, but what can he do after I complain to him? Even if he sends me another kit for free, I wouldn't use it, and I doubt that he would fabricate something for free that I would consider using.
I did several hours of research on this setup before buying it. Seemed like everything I heard was positive and I anticipated having my truck running right in a few hours. Now I think I'm looking at more than a week of fabrication and modification. Since I sold the Rochester B yesterday, I've taken a truck that ran and made it not run. That is part of the disappointment.
Unfortunately, I'm an engineer (not the kind that drives trains), and have perfectionist tendencies. I figure I will have to spend at least a day on the carburetor adaptor, even leaving all four lower ears intact. It will take at least a day to make the isolator plate between the adapter and carburetor that the bell crank and choke cable adapter will atach to.
I'm hoping I can find some '72 Vega carb base gaskets because I'm not that good at cutting gaskets.
I'll also have to spend some time finding correct connecting and mounting hardware, because nothing that came in the kit is suitable. For instance using steel nuts with built-in star washers, but no steel flat washers, to connect the carburetor to the aluminum adapter is just silly. Remove the carb a few times and you need a new adapter.
I don't know. I talked to Tom, and he talked me into buying about $80 worth of stuff that I didn't think I needed, but he's the man. Now it turns out that I didn't need it. His opinion that my engine didn't need any oil filtration system at all should have been a clue.
I'm going to post pictures of the process on webshots so you can see what I mean.