Yeah your gonna have to have that spacer, did you let it go with the old Carb? If you want to trim the extra set of ears off the adapter it works good to mark it with that spacer and trim accordingly. Considering the amount of work your doing on it at this point you'll prob. kick yourself if you don't do that now. With the spacer and the supplied gasket, I had to hold each carb up about 1/4 (I believe) while I started the nut. Once the nut was seated completely on the threads I could set the carb down and tighten them down the rest of the way.
From reading this and looking at your pictures, I'm wondering if the setup would have run just fine if bolted on the way you received it. I understand you have a high attention to detail and you expected that from the kit but this level of detail and polishing seems commonplace to me on top fuel drag engines or other high performance applications but have you looked at the inside of intake manifold casting on your old Stovebolt there.
MONGO