Ok I guess I am not too smart. I began this swap to a short shaft pump because I read here somewhere that is what I needed to do. My engine is still out of the truck I figured I would get this done before I put it back in so I have no idea how close to the radiator I would have been with the original water pump on the 1956. I am soooo confused now. Is someone telling me I did not have to replace the 1956 water pump
The minutiae got way out of hand here. I understand your confusion.
To put a 1956 engine in a 1950 truck with the radiator in stock position, yes, you had to address the pump in one way or another. Fan would not clear the radiator otherwise.
If I read your post correctly you bought a "modified" (I called it short shaft) 235 pump from
Chevy's of the 40s. Can you link to the pump you bought so we can be sure?
If so, you need the flat back 216 fan....like the one I linked to from Jim Carter. Or just take a fan off a 216 if you have on. Bolt one on and then report back. We can address belt size and all that as a separate matter.
Dave's adapter plate is just another way to skin the cat. It moves the pump to the (higher) location and uses a "216 style" pump.