The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (DBJ71SuperCustom, Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, Lightholder's Dad, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI, padresag, Woodcmiami, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,291
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#693317 11/09/2010 4:10 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
With 3 previous brothers serving in the A.F. I figured I'd make it all four of us.
I spent time in HOT Texas. San Antonio then Brooks AFB. Then my next duty assignment was the COLD U.P. And for those who don't know what the U.P. stands for its the Upper Pennsula of Michigan! brrrrr that winter, back in 66, was the coldest on record at K.I. Sawyer until just a few years ago.

For all you guys that was in the sweltering Nam I salute you. I volunteered but didn't have to go.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 11/09/2010 5:02 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I served in Uncle Sam's army from Aug. 67 to July '69. I did a tour as a grunt in 'Nam with the 1st Battalion, 6th Infantry, 198 LIB.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
cant edit after a few seconds so I will add.. as reply
this is a troop transport ship.


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
Enlisted in the Wisconsin National Guard 25 FEB 2010, Graduated Basic Training on 5 AUG. Contracted with Marquette University Army ROTC in October and am on track to receive my commission in DEC 2012. I will then have another 6 years in the WI Guard, hopefully as an Officer in the Army Corps of Engineers.


1957 Chevy 3800 Panel Truck - "Nightmare"
(Nightmare to restore)
Will give nightmares to the Fathers of my girlfriends.
"I'm in artillery!" Thank you, Bob. Can we play anything for you? "Anything! Just play it loud, OK?!"

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
'82-'83 -- Marion Military Institute, Marion, AL -- U.S. Army ROTC Cadet.
'83-'87 -- U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD (14th Co.)(Cruises aboard USS Nassau (LHA-4), USS Sam Rayburn (SSBN-635), USS New Jersey (BB-62) and USS Wabash (AOR-5))
'87 -- MCCDC, Quantico, VA (F Co, The Basic School)
'88-'90 -- MATSG, Pensacola, FL (VT-3)
'89 -- Public Affairs Officer Basic Course, Defense Information School, Ft. Benjamin Harrison, Indianapolis, IN.
'90-'92 -- HQ Bn., 3rd MARDIV, Camp S.D. Butler, Okinawa (side trips to Thailand, Korea and Philippines for Cobra Gold, Team Spirit, Valiant Blitz, Firey Vigil and other misc exercises & deployments. Underway aboard USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19) and USS St. Louis (LKA-116)) 3rd MarDiv PAO
'91 -- University of Oklahoma (School of Communication) U.S. Air Force Advanced Communication Course
'92 - '95 -- The Defense Information School, Ft. Benjamin Harrison, IN (side trip to EUCOM HQ at Stuttgart, Germany for Operation Support Hope in August '94) Officer Course Journalism Team Chief and CO, Marine Detachment, Ft. Benjamin Harrison.
'95 - '98 -- Director, Consolidated Public Affairs Office, Marine Corps Base, Hawai'i. Underway aboard USS Frederick (LST-1184).
'98-'01 -- MP Co.A, H&S Bn., 4th MLG, Lexington, KY (IRR)
'99 - '20 -- U.S. Naval Air Systems Command, DoN Civilian
'20-Present -- Happily retired!

Semper Fi,
John
Life Member -- U.S. Marine Corps Combat Correspondents' Association
"Last to know, first to go."

Last edited by John Milliman; 09/18/2024 12:49 PM. Reason: Updated

~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Army 63-66 Basic @ Ft. Ord, 2nd 8 Ft Leonardwood, overseas tour Korea, duration of enlistment @ Ft Benning with 90 days TDY @ Ft Knox.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 247
J
J M Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 247
USS Montrose APA 212 65-68. Two Westpac cruses, mostly taking marines from Okinawa to Viet Nam. Anchored in Vung Tou as home base for the Riveron Patrol Flotilla boats for about a month.
Yes Joker know what kind of a ship you were on.
Jim

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
USS Saratoga CV60, Jan 1973-Jul 1977 two Mediterranean Cruises (74&77) Homeported Portsmouth Naval Shipyard 1-73/5-73) Mayport Florida 5/74-7/77) St Thomas Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Portugal, Spain, Italy France, Israel, Greece, Casablanca, Turkey..


1942 Chevy Firetruck project 1 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix and video

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton -- Now gone
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
Well I typed in my 20 year USAF career in here the other night and now it's gone. Suffice to say I did my 20 and am disgusted with the left.


1999 GMC Yukon
1957 GMC 100 Panel
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
'82-- Marine Corps Boot Camp, MCRD San Diego
'82-- Camp Lejuene, NC, Combat Engineer School
'82-'83-- Okinawa Japan, Engineer Reconnassance Team
'83-'85-- Pickle Meadows, CA, Mountain Warfare Instructor
'85-'87-- Kaneohe Bay, HI, 3rd Combat Engineer Battalion
'88-'90-- MCRD San Diego, Drill Instructor Duty
'90-'91-- Guantanamo Bay Cuba, Minefield Maintenance Team
'91-'93-- Coronado, CA, Amphibious Reconnaissance Instructor
'93-'96-- Camp Lejuene, NC, 9th Engineer Battalion
'96-- Quantico VA, Warrant Officer Basic School
'96-- Quantico VA, Range Officers School
'96-'99-- Camp Pendleton, CA, Recruit Training Range Officer
'99-'03-- Dam Neck, VA, Security Forces Range Officer

During this 21 years and 10 months, I deployed to Korea (twice), Phillipines, Adak Alaska, Guatamala, Nassau and the Persian Gulf. Had a great time in my beloved Corps.

George

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 462
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 462
u.s. army 1982-86

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
US Air Force 1965-69. Central US and Southeast Asia.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 397
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 397
Drafted into the U.S. Army 1967-1969, Basic training at Ft. Knox, KY, Advanced Infantry Training at Ft. Polk, LA.

Sent to Vietnam in 1968 and assigned to the 101st Airborne as a grunt. Wounded twice with the second one almost killing me as I took a direct mortar hit and suffered numerous wounds where I almost bleed to death on the battle field.

That was over 42 years ago and I count my blessings every day.


"Lucille" ..... Proud Member of the "Southern Stovebolts"

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
U.S. Army, 1985-1993
Basic training Fort Leonard Wood (Lost in the Woods, Misery)
Basic Korean Language school Presidio of San Francisco.
A.I.T. Goodfellow A.F.B., TX
3rd M.I. Bn, Camp Humphreys, Korea
107th M.I. Bn, Fort Ord, CA

Lost my mind and re-upped to get out of Fort Ord.

Inermediate Korean Language school, Presidio of Monterey, CA
532nd M.I. Bn, Camp Red Cloud, Korea
107th M.I. Bn, Fort Ord, CA.

I was fortunate never to have seen combat, but I have nothing but respect for those who did. Just the luck of the draw I guess, I was in basic for Grenada, was on P.C.S. leave for Panama and the powers that be felt that Korean Linguists were needed in Korea for Desert Shied/Desert Storm.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
NAVY 75-79
USS RANGER CV-61
BOILER TECHNICIAN 2nd CLASS
P-2 DIV. 3MMR (PROPULSION)
HOMEPORT NAS NORTH ISLAND
WEST PAC 76 "BICENTENNIAL CRUISE"
OVERHALL 77 PUGET SOUND BREMERTON,WASH
WEST PAC 79
SHELLBACK (twice)

Last edited by 51 ashton; 11/16/2010 1:33 PM.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
U.S. Coast Guard and CG Reserve, 18 years and counting. Highlights were CGC Acushnet (213' Medium Endurance Cutter), deployments to Iraq, Cuba (Commissions Security at GTMO), and locally after 9/11. Currently Chief Petty Officer at Base Seattle.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 42
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 42
Hey all. Just saw this part of the forum. I served in 2003-2004 right after the iraq invasion. Proud I did it.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
USN, 1996-present. too many ships, three trips down range. I have served with many a Soldier, Marine, Airman and Coastie and am humbled and proud to have stood alongside them. Thanks to those who have already served, your service is appreciated. Rest easy, we have the watch.


"Remember Who You Are And What You Represent"

"Being responsible sometimes means [censored] people off"
- General Colin Powell
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
USAF 1966-1973, Washington ANG 1974-1978

Lackland AFB, Texas (Basic and Tech School)
Fallon AFS, Nevada
Korat AB, Thailand
Phulam, Vietnam
Fairchild AFB, Washington
McClellan AFB, California
Suwon AB, Korea
Camp Long, Korea
Sunnyvale AFS, California

Last edited by OlBlue; 11/19/2010 7:41 AM.

'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Wow; I've been at the bolt for a while now but never scrolled this far down.

US Army Jan. 66 to Dec. '68. Basic at Fort Knox, AIT at Fort Leonard Wood, 3 months at Fort Riley. 2 years, 2 months & 2 days in Viet Nam 9th division in 4 corps, 1 purple heart.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Army July 67'July 69

Basic at Fort Lewis Wa. Ait at Ft Polk, La, A-1-9 1st Cav Dec 67/Dec 68 Ft Hood, Tex Jan/July 69.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/Rob-D/LastdaywithA19001-1-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
Doing the last days with the unit photo thing Dec 68 and a hundred lbs lighter.


48 Chevy 3100 going back together with a 292 six and AX15 five speed.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Kennedy sucked me into the system with his "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" speech and put a cap on it when his life was taken.
I joined the USAF in March of '64 just before my 22nd birthday and served till March of '68.
Worked in TTY maintenance keeping M-28 and Crypto gear running. Spent time of course in San Antonio then shipped to tech school in Wichita Falls, TX, (ahh Fran, I should have married you, what a summer that was.) Next came the com center at McClellan in Sacramento, CA and finally a couple of years in the Philippines with the 1st Mobile Communications Group with a few visits to Saigon in '67 & '68 before discharge.
An interesting four years and I still personally feel that every able-bodied male and female in this country should spend some time in support of his or her country.
But those four were enough for me and I was glad to get back to civilian life and good old Capitalism.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Peggy M; 06/05/2024 10:34 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 394
USAF 71-91 joined to see the world, stationed at EAFB here in SD for 17 of the 20. at least on paper

Last edited by dakota; 11/21/2010 5:29 PM.

Drive with Pride. mike j
family pic
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
U.S. Navy
VF-142 Ghost riders Squadron attached to CVN-69 Dwight D. Eisenhower.
1982/1988 thumbs_up


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 36
USS Forrestal CV-59 (Philadelphia Shipyards) , USS Simon Lake AS-33, Charkeston and Holy Loch, Scotland, and USS Holland AS-32, NWS, Goose Creek, SC

Only did 6 years but learned a great trade as a sheet metal fabricator. Worked with some excellent craftsmen.


1957 Chevy 3100 Big Window
In the Gallery
More pix in Photobucket

I want to die just like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep......not screaming, like the passengers in his car!!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
US army, Jan 1967- Jan 1970, basic at Ft. campell kentucky. ait at Ft. Knox Ky. OCS at Ft. Benning GA. 3rd squadron 5th cav. 9th infantry div, Viet Nam. actually attached to the 1st Marine Div. at the DMZ. last year spent at Red stone arsenal, Huntsville AL.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
Well first fellows thank you for serveing our great country. I volteered for the Navy but was rejected becaused of my hearing problems then sent my greetings from the Army and again rejected this went on for ten times at the induction center and on the last time the told me not to come back. They thought that I was faking the hearing test until they gave me a computerized test. So my Job from then on was to help produce food and service all the girls that I could to keep them from going stir crazy while everyone was fighting hard for our country.
62Blue
Don


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 114
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 114
Served a total of 40 years beginning in 1968, when I attended US Army Helicopter Pilot Training. Went to Vietnam in 69 with Co A (Ghost Riders) 158th Avn Bn, 101st Airborne Div, Camp Evans northern I corps. Transferred to 4/41st FA (Pershing Missile) at Schwabisch Gmund, Germany in Sep 70. Released from active duty in 71 and transferred to USAR then NG, then back to USAR. I finally retired in June 2008.
My deepest thanks to all who have served. YOU are the heart & soul of this nation.
Tom Clark
CW4, AV ret.
US Army


Ghost Rider
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
1942 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup, 1962 235, Offy intake, Fenton headers, Dual Carter YFs, 1984 T5
1956 Chevy 3100 Apache, 67 350SBC, Saginaw 4 speed, 69 12 bolt
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 543
USAF 1979 - 1999. Aircrew.

Alaska, Washington State, Oklahoma, Germany, and the Cat Litter Box known as the Middle East.


Pessimist - Sees glass as half-empty. Optimist - Sees glass as half-full. Gov't- Sees glass and takes it from you because you have a glass.
Political Correctness: A philosophical belief system bereft of common sense and logic, that supports and rewards ignorance and stupidity.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
Army 1967-69
Basic- Ft.Wood, Mo ( ft. lost in the woods )
AIT - Ft.Gordon, Ga. ( a crummy place )
Jump school- Ft. Benning,Ga. ( Where 2 things fall from the sky )
MOS- 11B20 Infintry
OJT- Vietnam, 1968, 101st Airborne, Ben hue, Tet Offensive, Hue,Quang Tri, Asha Valley, and surrounding areas.
2 Purple Hearts
R&R- Great Lakes Navel Hospital
CDC- Combat Developments Command Ft. Belvior, Va.
Home again, thank you very little Uncle Sam

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
I joined the US Army in 1975, 4 months later I got out. 3 years after that I joined the US Air Force.
Like everybody else i went to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX for Basic Training. I was after assigned to Sheppard AFB. TX. for Training in Aircraft Maintenance; my 1st assignment was to Hickam AFB. Hawaii to work on C-130-B's. From there I went to Hurlburt Field to become part of the Special Operations Community In the USAF. I re-trained into the Transportation Career Field as a Allied Trades guy (body shop) and attended training at Aberdeen Proving (US Army)Grounds in Maryland just North of Baltimore, Maryland. The USAF then assigned me to Eglin AFB. Florida; just across town from my last assignment at Hurlburt Field. I was then assigned to Keflavic Naval Air Station in Iceland. After a year there I was re-assigned to Homestead AFB. Florida. I volunteered for Alaska and was soon on my way to Eielson AFB. just outside the city of Fairbanks. From Eielson AFB. I went to Goodfellow AFB. in West Texas, and finally I retired from the USAF at McChord AFB. outside Tacoma, WA. I still make my home in the area working for the US Navy as a civilian now.


1999 GMC Yukon
1957 GMC 100 Panel
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 38
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 38
Army '71-'74.
Trained as a 67N (UH-1 mechanic), OJT as 82C (artillery surveyor). Stateside the whole time: Ft. Ord, Ft. Eustis, Ft. Lewis, and Ft. Sill. Thanks to all who served, special thanks to those who went in harms way.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
I
New Guy
New Guy
I Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Hawaii Army Guard - '98-'02
BCT @ Ft Sill, OK, AIT @ Edgewood Area, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
63W10H8 - wheeled vehicle repair & wrecker recovery

Transferred over to the Air Guard in '02, got out in '08.
Tech school at Aberdeen Proving Grounds (again)
2A751 - aircraft metals journeyman


Jeff
'61 Studebaker school bus
amongst others
www.thearizonagarage.com
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 44
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 44
fort lost in the woods the school of hard knox and seven years and 10 months attached to the ntc in fort irwin with the cav second squadron eleventh armored cavalary opfor scout recovery mos 63THP AND 63Z with 44b added in ojt 1991to2001

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
O
Apprentice
Apprentice
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Only lottery I have ever won. Drew number 15 in the draft. 71 - 74 Army, USAEUR, 656TH Engr Bat.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 32
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 32
USAF Security Forces 2003- Present
2003 Lackland- basic training and tech school
2003-Present - Ohio Air National Guard
2008 and 2012- Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Currently serving in the Navy. Enlisted 2005 until 2011 when I was commissioned as an Ensign. Currently stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma.


1966 Chevy C10 Longbed
"Dave's '66 Custom"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

Anything that's hard, will always be worth it in the end.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
July 26, 1992 MCRD San Diego (funny how you remember that day!)
Ended up stationed in Beaufort, SC with VMFA 533 as a ejection seat mechanic for F-18Ds, or Egress Systems Mechanic if you want the proper name.
July 27, 1996 Out and back to Oklahoma
After arguing with the local reserve unit, ended up with the 205th EIS at Will Rogers in the USAF ANG
Moved to Houston and transferred to the 272nd EIS in LaPorte

While in the USMC, went to Aviano, Italy in support of Operations Deny Flight/Provide Promise in 93 - 94. Came back did mini deployments to Yuma, 29 Stumps, and Virginia. Went back to Italy in 95 and left a pregnant wife at home. Watched as our squadron located Scott O'Grady and provided cover while he was rescued. Came back 2 weeks early and just in time to see my daughter born. Lost two Captains in a crash about 3 months before I got out in 96. Only saw the results of an ejection seat once during my 2nd trip to Yuma. Was glad to see that Captain come around and shake everyone's hand. Great feeling knowing you helped save someone's life.

Went to Germany twice with the Air Force while being an Antenna Maintenance/Comms Support person. Pulled extra fiber optic cable when Kennedy nosed in by Martha's Vineyard and we were in Cape Cod.

From the sounds of things, I just missed Napco Man as my DI grin

Semper Fi and Happy 237th birthday tomorrow!

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
U.S Naval Facility, Keflavik, Iceland '71-'73

Denny, I was in Supply, and had to order a boatload of TTY paper on a continuous basis.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
USAF, 1967-75. Stateside assignments at Little Rock AFB Arkansas and Castle AFB California, but most of my time was in Okinawa, Thailand and the Phillipines. Most of my time was spent in SAC, working on B-52's and KC-135's. On flying status for airborne electronic maintenance. I was an electronics specialist on compass systems, automatic flight controls, and celestial navigation gear, plus a few oddball nav systems on specialty aircraft like SIDS on the RC-135 and the AWADS cargo drop system on the C-130's that supplied the guys who weren't there in Cambodia.

Got out in 1975 as an E-5, trying to salvage a bad marriage (didn't work) or I probably would have been a lifer. Everybody needs to serve his country in some way- - - -either military or public service. To take advantage of our freedom and not give something back is shameful! Now I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders, honoring those who serve, living or dead. We ride tomorrow, leading the Nashville Tennessee Veterans' day parade.

Jerry




"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
US Navy, PT-3, USS Ticonderoga CVA14, 1968-1970. Two Westpac cruises. Then 6 months at NAS Whidby Island.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
U S ARMY 69-72 Drafted in Feb., enlisted delayed entry program to graduate High school. 4 days after graduation sent to Ft. Jackson,SC. On to Ft. Belvoir VA. Then to Ft. Benning for jump school. Ft. Mc Clelland AL. News Years Day 1971 found myself in The Republic of South Vietnam. Spent most of the year in the Delta. 3rd generation Combat Veteran. Returned home to hold a daughter 6 months old.
No re-enlistment for me ,,,got tired of getting shot at, shot down and shot up. 1 purple heart. WOW !!! 41 years ago.
I thank God everyday for another day of life......
Did the 25th Anniversary Ride of Rolling Thunder in DC this year.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 264
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 264
USS Acadia AD-42 San Diego,Ca, 1986-1990 with 2 west pac cruies + 5 yrs active reserve in Huntington, W.Va.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 10
Nothing exciting or even very interesting to tell. When someone learns that I was in the service and asks "Did you kill anybody?" I change the subject after saying, "Gee, I hope not!" Then, if pressed, will relate some buddy's or family member's interesting tale. As the old Chinese curse goes, "May you always live in interesting times."
My four years active duty (there's another kind?) let me cross off that little patriotic chore that should be required for full citizenship. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower had the right idea with universal conscription or volunteer service sometime between the ages of puberty and forty. If the armed services won't fit, then you put in your time where best and most needed...except for basic training; no way to avoid those eight to ten weeks.

Oops! Fell of the soapbox.

Time was 1969. Went straight into the first training class available after I graduated WVU with five years school, four years ROTC, and a commission in the Army and eleven months of marriage. Since my first choice of branch was Armor, I strolled onto a parade ground in AOB (Armor Officer Basic Class #14).

The purpose of that course was to be sure we all had mastered the important stuff to being an officer. That would include when, who and how to salute, where the "O" club was, and a bit about the equipment we would be expected to have mastered. We learned how to do almost everything!

Such as "Gentlemen!" (That's the way we were addressed. I think that was because the act of congress had bestowed upon us a commission also declared we were "gentlemen".) "If you ever have to fire your personal weapon in a combat situation, you probably have screwed up because you are being distracted from your leadership role by the act."

The most valuable insight that I used a great deal in the next four years was to approach a difficult problem that I needed to attend to by prefacing the command I was about to give with, "Now Sergeant (name), we want to (the command)." Then step back and let the men do what ever they were trained to do. Of course I had to check on them from time to time and heap praise where deserved. In the highly unlikely event that things weren't going as planned, I knew that I had assigned the wrong man the wrong task.

The where? Ah, stationed at Ft Knox, KY; Ft Riley, KS; Camp Casey, ROK; Ft Jackson, SC. The last was to "get a company command." A training company, either Basic or Advanced Individual Training (AIT). Really?

Although I had had an interesting and thoroughly enjoyable time, with a fairly rapid advance to captain rank and the pay was adequate (the best that I would have for quite a long time, in fact), I didn't think that I would be suited for a peace-time career in the service. So I bailed.

I've never regretted serving (well, my right arm is still numb from elbow to wrist, but it functions as well as ever). Likewise, I have wondered what course my life might taken had I remained in uniform. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! I can say that I wouldn't be the same person that I fortunately am today.

And yes, yes, there were TDY assignments, attachments, and duty that required civilian clothes on occasion. I did carry a loaded sidearm...once with the most remote possibility that I might have to use it defensively, should I find myself in an interesting situation.

So I know that I simply was fortunate. Certainly more fortunate than that many of my friends who's names are now carved on a glossy black granite wall, many with marks of great bravery, dedication, and willing sacrifice that follow. None of them got up that morning thinking that it was a good day to die. But they found themselves in situations that demanded their lives. One was a pacifist and conscientious objector. He was awarded the MOH, posthumously.

Many more who served and survived carry grievous scars, often their obvious wounds are easier to heal than those unseen that will never heal.

To me, that's what this is all about.


Restoring an old Chevy truck is a mission for people who just need a few more problems in their life.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
To all Veterans.....Thank You.

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
I did my service 1960-1964 USN. Three years on a radar picket in North Atlantic .
Ship was a converted Liberty Boat . Fifty years ago Cuban Blockade Nov.1962. Remember it well, Thanksgiving dinner was GREEN Bologna, we were out of food after 40 days at sea. This year it will be turkey and dressing.


1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
US Army 83-86 basic at Fort Sill OK FA Pershing Missiles
1/81 FA B/Btry Neu Ulm Germany


If they don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy! ~ Thanks RED GREEN
1957 Chevy 3800 :: In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
1966 Lorado, TX
1967-70 Barksdale AFB, LA
1970-71 CCK Taiwan (really Vietnam but wasn't there---)
1972-92 Barksdale AFB (A-37s and A-10s)
1992-98 Warner Robins, GA
Allen C

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
Served 4 yrs. in A F 64-68 March afb ca.17 mon.,Eilson afb Fairbanks alaska,27 mo. Walked to work one mmorn.,55 below 0. Got picked up by fellow AF person. Huge misquetos up there.

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Lackland AFB, TX Sept-Nov 2001
Sheppard AFB, TX Nov 2001- March 2002
Mountain Home AFB, ID Mar 2002-Sept 2007
Keesler AFB. MS Sept 2007-Nov 2007
Mountain Home AFB, ID Nov 2007-April 2009
Minot AFB, ND April 2009-Sept 2011
Kunsan AB, ROK Sept 2011-Sept 2012
Mountain Home AFB, ID Sept 2012-Present

Throw in Temporary duties all over the world and 4 tours in support of OIF/OEF/Operation New Dawn.

I enlisted as an Aircrew Egress systems maintainer but was foreced to cross train to Command and Control(which i hate).

Last edited by 66birdman; 11/23/2012 2:58 PM.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 65
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 65
Enlisted 1975 to 1977, Ft Leonard Wood MO, Ft Belvor VA, Ft Carson CO. Atomic Demolition Munitions was my job, this was after Viet Nam so I didn't have to test my work. Army

Last edited by Al_Lake; 11/28/2012 10:37 AM.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,712
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,712
US Marine Corps Reserve, 1969-1975

Basic in San Diego 2/69 - 4/69
Trained as Embarkation clerk on Coronado Island 4/69-5/69
Orlando, FL 5/69-8/69 Assisted the Officers to make Casualty calls to parents and families for duration of active duty. Helped with funerals of our fallen Marines.
9/69-2/75 Active Reserve.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Army Veterinary Corps, Vietnam '71/72 Only vet in IV Corps

New to these forums but will be here a lot from now on. Just got my '49 Chevy 3100.


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 22
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 22
Air Force heavy lift helicopter crew chief (Glorified gas station attendant) 80-84 Hulbert field Florida Osan S.Korea Elmandorf Alaska


When setting goals in life. Always aim low to avoid disappointment
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
Joined Air Force in 1973. First station was Andrews AFB, then finished my enlistment six years later at Offutt AFB. Joined AF Reserves in 1984 and stayed for 2 years.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 28
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 28
Vietnam 70-71

My thanks to those who served before me, with me and the ones after me.

"For those who have fought and almost died, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know".


"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space. Life is short, eat desert first."
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Enlisted Dec 1965 USN, boot camp San Diego, BEEP school, Submarine sonar school /ASW school SD, Submarine school Groton CT. Reported aboard USS Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602 while in the yards at Electric Boat Co. Groton CT, completed overhaul and shake down cruise, qualified in Submarines, made 4 Strategic deterrent patrols out of our overseas home port in Holy Loch Scotland. Discharged in '69. Member VFW and USSVI Sub Vets.

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 09/16/2021 4:24 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 103
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 103
Army 78-81. Ft Carson CO and Germany.
Army National Guard, FL and CT, 83-01. Germany, Korea, Saudi Arabia.
Helicopter crew chief.


1938 Chevy 1/2-ton
More info in the Gallery Forum
She looks good at 50 yards, and 35 miles per hour, on a dark night.
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 56
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 56
Served October 1972 till october1975 , U.S. Army, Basic and AIT at FT. Leonardwood, then shipped to Italy where we did supply and long haul cargo Ops . Was to go across the sea the other way, but thankfully Vietnam war ended , Everyday I think of the true combat vets and cannot imagine what they went through. OOH RA!


1966 Chevy C 30 1 ton truck
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Signed up Navy in '61, wouldn't take me till I turned 17 in '62. Did time in VP-42 flying anti-sub patrols from Baja to Kodiak Alaska out of NAS North Island. From there to three tours in the Tonkin Gulf working catapult launch crew on the USS Kitty Hawk, CVA-63. "Retired" in '66 after being extended three times as a "critical rate". Thanks Lyndon!

I'm not at all a religious man but God bless all those who served.


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 113
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 113
Active Army, over 26 years now. Stationed at Ft. Campbell KY for most of my career but been all over.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
69-71 Lenard Wood Mo. Fort Knox KY. Indian Town Gap Penn. Germany.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 162
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 162
US Navy 85-91. Sailed aboard the USS Antrim (FFG-20). Fire Controlman second class. Thanks to all who served.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
US Air Force 79-89 mostly stationed at Kirtland AFB, NM as an Avionics Navigation tech. It was an honor and really changed the course of things for my family and I.

Whenever someone complaints about daily life, having to work an 8 hour day, what comes to mind right away, without any hesitation whatsoever is...

Assholes and Elbows Airman! You clearly better UNF*CK yourself or you will find my boot shoved firmly in yer [censored]!! smile


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 442
US Army, Air Defense Artillery, Ops and Intel.
Served with the 5/6 Air Defense, Baumholder West Germany Nike Hercules radar site 77-79, and later at the 32AADCOM Missile Command Center (MCC- Missile Country Club)79-80. Proud to fly the flag on Veterans Day. Mike

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 55
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Z Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 55
Here there and every where in between,when we weren't busy playing in the woods/climbing up and down mountains and playing in the snow,or sweating in the sand during the day and freezing in the same sand at night.
We entertained ourselves by parachuting out of anything that would get us far enough off the ground!
To be young again! yahoo
Sua Sponte

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Hey Ranger (ZMAX)

Which BN? Years?

RLTW!

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 55
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Z Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 55
Bco 1/75 83-91,too many tdy's to too many hell holes to count.
Onr of these days Ill figure out how to post pictures on here! headscratch computerdeath

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
MCRD San Diego 29 Sep 78 - 21 Dec 78
APG, MD Jan-Feb 79 MOS 2141/2145 M60A1 Tank Mech
1st Tank Bn, CampPen, CA Feb 79-Mar80
Marine Barracks Ground Defense Force GTMO, Cuba, Mar 80-81
MCLB Barstow, CA Mar 81-Jun82
APG, MD, Tank Turret Course (1982)
Ordnance Maint Co, 1st Maint Bn, 1st FSSG, CamPen Jun 82-Jun83
LAV Training Course, ITS/SOI, MCB CamPen Jun 83-Jan 87
(Yes 5 Units in 5 years)
SNCO Academy, Quantico, VA 1985
WOBC 1987, Quantico VA
Ordnance Officers Course, APG MD
1st FSSG, SOI, 3rd AAV BN, Okinawa, 4th LAR Bn; 87-02
Camp Fuji, Japan sept 02 - Oct 03
11th Marine Regt OrdO Oct 03-Jul 04
Assault Amphibian School Bn, Jul 04-Nov08
Retired
PMO/SES - Marine Corps Police Camp Pendleton Mar 09 -Aug 15.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
United States Air Force

Basic training, Lackland AFB San Antonio Texas/ July to Sept 1983
Tech school, Heavy equpment operator Ft Leonardwood Missouri/ Sept to Nov 1983
First duty station, Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson Arizona/ Nov 1983 to Mar 1988
819th Red Horse Squadron, Wethersfield England/ Mar 1988 to Aug 1990
Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, New Mexico/ Aug 1990 to June 1994
554th Red Horse Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea/ June 1994 to June 1995
Vandenberg AFB, California/ June 1994 to June 2004
Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nevada/ June 2004 to April 2007/retired
Plus all of the places in between. Was a good ride and would do it again!

Joe

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 58
Z
hmmm.
hmmm.
Z Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 58
enlisted after tries and being told I was 4f. I figured out how to get in 4/72. (keep your mouth shut and answer as few questions as possible). H.D in 75, and labeled 4f again.
I consider serving a fundamental obligation of every person over 18. It should just be a normal thing to do and not glorified so much.
I am pro-vet, very much, and I am currently ready to get back in it if we need me...
I pray God will bless you all. Now back to MW3.

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
1998-2003 Germany, and middle east was a 67T then re designated 15T UH-60 helicopter mechanic/crew chief

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
'68-'74 USN Top Secret Signals Intelligence work, boot camp in San Diego, BEEP school in San Diego, ET school in San Francisco, stationed at Cape Hatteras, NC (2 & 1/2 years) and Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada (2 years). Never set foot on a ship. Mustered out as an E6 eligible for Chief.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
lucky you, I spent 4 yrs on same ship and often dealing with
1500 marines..


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
O
Just totally retired. Have a 51 3/4 ton, just got moved in.
Just totally retired. Have a 51 3/4 ton, just got moved in.
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks to all/ 1977-1998 grunt retired now work on Fort Knox cant get out i guess only 4 more years and i will maybe be done and can work on old chevy trucks. Ha.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
OLDCOOT1212, welcome to the Stovebolt. Hey, you are not alone. Many of us here have been in the same situation. Just hang it there and in the mean time start buying up parts you think you may need.... before the prices go up.


.....I'd say use a little of that gold in Fort Knox but I hear its all gone now!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
USMC 73 - 77
6072 GSE mechanic

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
USAFSS 1964 to 1968...292xx--15 months Peshawar Air Station, 15 Months Shu Lin Kou AS..Then Kelly AFB. Went to College, built a Business. Retired to Sun Valley ID, in 2003, Taos NM 2016..Living the dream 49 1/2 ton 3100..Bill

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 28
V
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
V Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 28
US Army Infantry, 3rd/1st 11th LIB 197th Infantry Brigade, Americal Division. Basic Training at Fort Polk, LA, Home of the Combat Infantry Soldier Bound for Vietnam. That was an encouraging arch over the entrance to North Fort Polk. Annnnd it was true. Spent 1969 and 1970 in Vietnam hiking thru the jungles and sloshing thru rice paddies. Carried an M-79 grenade launcher my entire tour. Came back to the States with all my extremities intact and a new perception of liberty.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Jan. 1967-Jan, 1970. US army. Dec.1967-Dec.1968 Republic of Viet Nam. 3rd squadron 5th cav, 9th Infantry div. Attached to the first Marines at Wonder Beach, DMZ. After that a year until discharge at Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville Al.

Last edited by WE b OLD; 06/16/2017 1:29 PM.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
USAF
Telecommunications Operations Specialist "291"
1981 - Lackland AFB TX Basic
1981 - 1982 Kelly AFB TX
1982 - 1985 Hahn AB Germany
1985 - 1990 Buckley ANGB CO
1990 - 1993 Wright Pat AFB OH
1993 - 1997 Offut AFB NE
1997 - 2001 Pentagon (Chantilly VA)
Retired !


1962 C10 shortbed
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 43
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 43
USN....Sonar Tech...1965-1969

USS Charles Berry..DE 1035...Homeport Pearl Harbor

June 1966-Sept 1969




Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2
P
Moderated
Moderated
P Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 2
Joined the U.S. Army in 2004. Medically retired in 2013, Some real fun things happened during that time.... and I learned to embrace the suck. I tried real hard to stay in and I miss it everyday.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 346
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 346
US Navy....10-68 - 12-72
Boot camp San Diego
TRARON 24 VT-24, Beeville,Texas 01-69 - 02-71
USS Hancock CVA-19 Tonkin Gulf 03-71 - 12-72
Petty Officer 2nd Class


Terry K.

1951 5 window 1/2 ton

The only way to have a friend is to be one.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
USAF - 1980 - 84.

Lackland AFB,
Lowry AFB,
McClellan AFB.

Got out in Feb of 1984. Since I was from the Sacramento area (McClellan is in Sacramento) I stayed here.

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
USAFSS 1964-1968
Lackland, Biloxi Morse Intercept school, 15 Months Peshawar Pakistan then 15 Months Shu Lin Kou Taiwan. Then went to Kelly TX for 9 Months then to College. Bill

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 10
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 10
USAF 1988-1998 Lackland, 374th Tactical Airlift Wing Clark AB, 722 Air Refueling Wing March AFB, 58th Special Operations Training Wing Kirkland AFB.

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
A
ASU Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
I didn't see any bubble heads....I was USN from 12/94 until 2/04, served as a nuc MM, aboard USS Nevada (SSBN-733), then as an instructor at NPTU Ballston Spa NY. Jon

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 20
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 20
I grew up with a kid in Helena Mt who was in 14th co at the Academy. He was Class of 85.

Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 20
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 20
US Army Tanker. Retired in Dec2005. I served in 2/69 AR in Benning, 1/68Ar in Wildflecken W. Germany, 2/102 CAV in New Jersey and Combat Vehicle Transition Team Gowen Field Idaho.
I was on M48A5s, M60A3s, and all of the M1s up to through the M1A1H.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
I see this thread hasn't been visited for some time.

U. S. Coast Guard....retired Senior Chief Machinery Technician, E-8. August 1973 - September 1994, 21yrs. Active Duty, Honorably Discharged. Spent 8 yrs. aboard (2) different Coast Guard cutters patrolling the waters off the coast of Alaska...looking for US fishery violations from the Canadian fishing fleet. Search and Rescue ops. 4 yrs. patrolling the Gulf of Mexico...drug interdiction, Search and Rescue ops...etc.
Served at the U. S. Coast Guard training Command Center, Yorktown, VA. (2) tours. One tour as a Coast Guard recruiter in the eastern sector of the US.

Last edited by Apache1; 01/31/2019 6:33 PM.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
2 years US Army. 1969- 1971.
Thanks for all the service, Vets. Hope we never need to do it again. 72 is not to old. God bless you all. God bless the USA.
Nuff said.
N4RSN
Steve N

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
A lot of us visit and read but not everyone leaves a comment.
So far this forum has had over 59,000 views so someone is looking.

Thanks to all who are posting your units and thank all of you for your service.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 02/26/2019 1:38 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
Your welcome AChipmunk.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
AChipmunk>you know this section of the site should be visited and appreciated daily NOT just November of each year and specifically the 11th of the month. Your thoughts....

Last edited by Apache1; 02/28/2019 2:32 PM.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Senior, if you spent time recruiting in Maine, ('82 time frame) you may have recruited my best friend Davey. One of my neighbors currently is a retired Chief (Machinist Mate) and spent most of his time on buoy tenders out of Portland (the REAL Portland, not the one out west ...) and on my childhood river, the mighty Kennebec.

One of my favorite "There I was..." stories: On the Island of Iwo Jima in '92 as an assistant Battle Study Leader. Just up from invasion beach, a recent typhoon had deposited the bow ramp from a Higgins Boat. (one can guess what happened to the rest of the boat ...). For some reason, a couple of us flipped it over and on the front side, still visible after 50 years exposure to the pacific Ocean, was a big. colorful, United States Coast Guard emblem. It reminded us all immediately of Douglas Munro (for those of you who don't know of him, look him up). I wish we could have saved it.

We Marines remember who our friends are.

Semper Paratus/Semper Fidelis,

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 473
Hello John and thank you for your service to our country. Great story...what a piece of history you and your comrades discovered on that beach, to bad the CG insignia couldn't have been salvaged and archived away. By 1982 I had moved on from recruiting duty. USCGC Kennebec homeported in Portsmouth, VA. Had some friends stationed aboard the USCGC Munro 378 ft. High Endurance Class Cutter many, many years ago. The story of Douglas Munro and his heroism is one everyone should read. If I would have not retired my next duty assignment more than likely would have been on a 378 on the west coast.

Semper Paratus (Always Ready)
George

Last edited by Apache1; 02/28/2019 6:50 PM.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Semper Fi, George. Douglas Munro's story, along with his shipmate, Navy PO Samuel B. Roberts, never fails to move me. As for Munro, what can you add to a write up like that? A MOH submitted by Chesty Puller himself?? Ooh rah!!

Yeah, well, we share a bond only Mud ducks and Jarheads understand wink i.e., We share a common enemy .... hehehehehe wink

I hear you about the latest Munro -- too bad she was built ...down there. I am the proud son of two Bath Iron Works retirees smile

.... "Bath built is best built"

And there is no need to thank me for my service -- the Marine Corps was far better to me and my family than I deserved. smile It sent us to to one tropical island island paradise after another -- which is why I always felt that I need to thank the taxpayers, not the other way around wink



~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
My birth ushered in in-door rest room modifications to our house.

Munro, an American hero and well deserving of all the accolades we can bestow....

One of my cousins had 2 sons. Both could have went along to go along as they didn't want nor need.
When they both got of age, the oldest enlisted in the Coast Guard and shortly afterwards the other in the Marine Corps. I am extremely proud of both equally.

Welcome aboard....

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 27
Drafted fall of 1970. Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood. Balance spent at Ft.Monmouth in NJ as Computer technology instructor and finished in Office of Doctrine Development Literature and Plans (ODDLP) which we pronounced Odd Little People. Out in 1972,

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Boot camp Orlando Fl. May 71
Aviation Electronics and Training Devices school Millington Tn
Ground School Instructor for student pilots on simulators for TA 4 Skyhawk in Kingsville Tx
Fun ,interesting job. Loved it
Discharged May 75
Thanks to ALL who served and God Bless those who saw combat
Gerald


Gerald
54 Chevy 3100
Anybody can do nothing
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
*** Looks like I'm one of the old guys. Joined the Air Force 1960 after basic in Lackland & tech school in Amarillo Tx was stationed at Biggs AFB El Paso,Tx. Was a B-52 & KC-135 mech. served my 4 years and in 1964 went to work for the Airlines as an aircraft mech. Retired from FedEx in 2013 {what a great co} Probably the smartest thing I ever did was going into the Air Force. Hope everyone that choose the Air Force had a good a time as I did for those four years plus learning a great trade.

Last edited by marzach; 01/11/2021 9:20 PM.
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 51
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 51
Joined Air Force May 66 to 70. basic at Lackland and tech school at Lowery in Denver and then to Germany for two years. Over to Udorn RTAFB,68 &69 and then to Key West NAS. Was trained as 462,worked on F105's and f4s while in Gemany. T28's at Udorn and other places in SEA. Retred from GTE,now Verizon. Made a better person out of me.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thank you for your service.

.....I was in Lackland just after you in 66 in Flight 2153


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by DDicker
Enlisted in the Wisconsin National Guard 25 FEB 2010, Graduated Basic Training on 5 AUG. Contracted with Marquette University Army ROTC in October and am on track to receive my commission in DEC 2012. I will then have another 6 years in the WI Guard, hopefully as an Officer in the Army Corps of Engineers.
Gotta follow up now that I have finished my service. I did in fact commission as a Wisconsin Army National Guard Field Artillery officer in DEC 2012. After serving my 8 year commitment I hung up the uniform in December of 2020. Overall it was a good part of my life and was relatively mediocre with the exception of the Afghan vacation in 2019. I look forward to the next chapter as husband and father. Thank you to those who have served and continue to serve.


1957 Chevy 3800 Panel Truck - "Nightmare"
(Nightmare to restore)
Will give nightmares to the Fathers of my girlfriends.
"I'm in artillery!" Thank you, Bob. Can we play anything for you? "Anything! Just play it loud, OK?!"

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Well done, DDicker! A successfully completed tour of duty, an honorable discharge ... You have well and faithfully carried out your duty and passed the duty on to the next generation. You handed them a fit and orderly unit ready for assignment and in good order. You have carried the flame and kept it lit. Nothing mediocre about that. We who have gone before you salute you and heartily welcome you to the "Old Corps" Take your place among us with honor and pride.

And I always remember my favorite bumper sticker, seen in Okinawa:

"Guns don't kill people. HOWITZERS kill people!"

King of Battle!


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Basic Ft. Campbell Ky.1967. AIT Ft. Knox Ky. OCS Ft Benning Ga. 3rd squadron 5th Cav. Firebase Bearcat Republic of Vietnam 1968. Redstone Arsenal Huntsville, Al. 1969 then out Jan. 1970.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
Entered the AF 10 days after graduation in June 1977. Went to Lackland AFB for Basic and Sheppard for Tech School.
Moody AFB 1977- 1982
Taegue Korea 1982-1983
Back to Moody AFB 1983-1986
Okinawa Japan 1986-1990
Langley AFB 1990-1998.
No I work for the Navy and have for the past 20 years. Been blessed to be in the active military and work as a Fed employee with the active military.

Deegs53

1953 Chevy 3100


1953 3100
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Welcome aboard, Deegs! I did 22 years as a DoN Civ (NAWC-AD) after my Marine Corps career. I'm glad *you* find working for the Squids to be a blessing ... wink

I retired two years ago smile smile smile smile smile smile smile


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
My brother went into the AF in 1961 unit 1984 he was an E8 then the next years until retirement at Wright Patterson AFB. I sometimes wonder if I would have stayed in the service if I had gone into the AF. ohwell


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 18
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 18
99-07 USN
Gas Turbine systems mechanical
USS Port Royal CG-73 (getting decommissioned tomorrow)
USS Hopper DDG-70
Maintenance Facility Everett Wa.


59 viking 40
46 CJ2A
72 C10
94 YJ
ect...
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Thanks for your service, Alwayswrenchin! A Marine Corps brother of mine's (we were in 3rd MarDiv together) dad was the CMC aboard Port Royal at one time. Too bad about her grounding -- you weren't aboard at the time, were you?

Both of my parents retired from BIW and were both involved with the DDG-51 builds so they both had a part in building Hopper. I actually had the honor of meeting RDML Hopper when I was a midshipman. She gave me a "Nanosecond" -- a piece of wire the same length that an electron travels in a nanosecond (about 2 feet). I wish I still had it.... she was a fascinating lady and scary smart.

S/F
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 18
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 18
The grounding was after my time on the PR. RDML Hopper was definitely a scary smart lady from what little I have read on her.


59 viking 40
46 CJ2A
72 C10
94 YJ
ect...
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
She had a clock in her office that was backwards. Read time in the opposite direction. Part of her effort to inspire subordinates to "think out of the box. She *was* scary smart. She was one of several people I was blessed to meet and get inspired by while at the Severn School for Wayward Youth. smile I was glad they named a Bath-built DDG for her. "Bath built is best built." smile

You served on a good ship. I know from first hand family experience that a lot of pride went into her -- from the keel up..


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
USAF 1965-69. After Basic at Lackland in Texas and tech training at Chanute in Illinois I split my time between Clinton-Sherman AFB in western Oklahoma, Kadena Air Base in Okinawa and a few short TDYs (actually typhoon evacs from Kadena) to Guam, the Phillipines and Tiawan. Twisted wrenches on B-52 and KC135 autopilot and navigation systems.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 122
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 122
US Navy STG2; 1973 - 1977
Basic in Orlando; ASW School in San Diego, then USS Coontz homeport in Norfolk, VA.

Joined: Oct 2022
Posts: 29
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2022
Posts: 29
The Vietnam war was just starting around 1964. I made a decision to join the Navy. Not realizing if I had joined the Army I could only spend two years of service. So that bad decision cost me two extra years of service, or may have saved my life, who knows. So off to boot camp. At Great Lakes Navy training center. Then to Memphis Tennessee for aircraft engine school, on radial engines. I was assigned to a sea plane, patrol squadron stationed at North Island Ca. close to home. The planes were water landing only, that meant no ship for me. I spent time in Japan, the Philippines', and a short tour in Vietnam. Last duty station was Moffett Field in the San Francisco bay area. We got 12 new Lockheed Electra planes. (Navy P3's) and had to learn Jet type engines. My four years were just about up, and I was asked to ship over for another four years, and the opportunity to go to Adak Alaska. No thanks. I had a good time and I was done. That's about it. Stan

Last edited by Peggy M; 10/28/2022 5:13 PM.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,080
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,080
Stan, you missed out by not going to Adak. LOL
I spent a couple weeks in Shemya, a lot farther out the Aleutian chain on a civilian contract job, and experienced every kind of weather you could think of the day we arrived. Got off the plane in sunshine, 5 minutes later was rain, then snow, then gale force winds (they use a log hanging on a chain for a wind sock wink ) etc. The Air Force guys stationed there had a saying - The recruiter said I could go to a Pacific Island full of foxes, but they forgot to mention North, and the 4 legs the foxes have. Adak is very similar.

Anyway, Thanks for your Service. thumbs_up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 17
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 17
I received my draft notice 21 December 1965 (nice Christmas present).

My first induction date was cancelled because of a blizzard snow storm. I was finally inducted on 18 February, 1966.

I first was sent to Fort Jackson, SC for processing and then on to Fort Gordon, GA, for basic training.

After basic, I was sent to Aberdeen Proving Grounds to be an Aircraft Armament Repairman. This MOS was basically for use in the Vietnam war effort. I had worked as a civilian for the US Army Corps of Engineers as a Cartographer (map maker) and had a very high security clearance with a restricted travel requirement. When my personnel office found out where I was and what I was doing, I was immediately reassigned to Fort Belvoir, VA. There I was trained to make maps the Army way.

In August of 1966 I was assigned to the 29th Engineer Battalion, 34th Engineer Company which was located on the Ford Island Naval Base in the Center of Pearl Harbor Hawaii. There I was a senior map editor, Specialist E5 and made maps to support the Vietnam war effort.

I was released from active duty and returned to home to Maryland on February 14th, 1964. Because there was so many men drafted in that time frame, I only served 2 years active duty and no active or inactive reserves.

Although being stationed in Hawaii was really an ideal duty station, after a while there, I missed the changing of the seasons. And the longer you were there, the smaller the island became. After a while it was just "another crappy day in paradise".

Joined: Apr 2023
Posts: 3
I
Moderated
Moderated
I Offline
Joined: Apr 2023
Posts: 3
Retired as a SFC in 2008 with first 10 yrs as an 11C Mortarman & 12 yrs as a 96B/35F as an All-Source Intelligence Analyst
.
Basic & & AIT @ Benning from JUL - OCT of 86.
Fort Polk, La from 86-89.
2ACR, Amberg, GE from 89-92 with Desert Storm somewhere in the middle.
Fort Riley from 92-98.
2ID HQ in Korea from 98-99.
Back to Fort Polk, La from 99-01.
EUCOM HQs in Stuttgart, GE from 01-03.
10th Mountain DIV from 03-08. With 2x trips to Iraq, 04-05 & 06-07 in Baghdad & Mahmudiyah.

Army got an extra 2 yrs out of me after I started clearing back in 06.
I shouldn't be so disgruntled......I traveled a lot. Over 22 states & 18 different countries.

Now living in the area of Lake Charles, La where my veteran wife have bought a house back in 2020. Bought a 68 C10 Longbed in JAN 2023 and will start working on her in late May after I finish some college.

Wish me luck,
iBain

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/20/2023 3:16 PM. Reason: family friendly version ;)

Blaine Adams
US Army Retired
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thats an interesting service. Thanks and Good Luck on the pickup. Stovebolters are here to help when needed.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 26
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 26
US Air Force here from 1983-1990. Stationed at Lackland, Biloxi, Nellis and Offutt. Comm/Nav on F5's, RC-135's, EC-135's and E-4B.


1960 Chevy C10 gasser- Rabble Rouser
1953 Harley Davidson Panhead chopper
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Welcome aboard, Gasser! From your service, I'd say you and Hotrod Lincoln (Jerry) have a lot in common.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 5
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 5
I come from a family of Jarheads.
Grandfather was Marine Infantry WWII all across the Pacific. Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Midway. Didn't talk about it at all.
Dad was Marine Pilot in Viet Nam. Three tours.
I was a Marine Flight Engineer on KC-130F/R '92-'00. Saw all the finest places a Marine can visit...
One of my sons was a Marine Flight Mechanic on KC-130J '12-'17.

Love the Corps, Love this country.
I think everyone should be required to enlist for two years. Teach them how to be an adult. If you like it, stay in and learn a trade. Just my $0.02.

Semper Fi.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Semper Fi, Bigfoot!

Spent a fair amount of time riding around in KC-130's ... mostly between Okinawa, Korea, PI and Thailand. Spent a little time as 1stMAW PAO. I was in Oki '90 - '92. Did you get there before I left?

S/F
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I spent a fair amount of time in Thailand in the 1970's, working on some specially equipped USAF C-130's with a computerized cargo drop system known as "AWADS" (All Weather Air Drop System"). We weren't there, according to the spooks, and didn't drop food and ammo to a bunch of guys who didn't exist- - - -who were doing stuff that didn't happen, in places they weren't supposed to be! It turns out one of the guys I went to engineering school with at Tennessee Tech "wasn't there"- - - -on the receiving end of those cargo drops!
LOL!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Basic at Ft. Campell Ky. AIT at Fort Knox, Ky, mechanised school. OCS at Ft. Benning Ga. then at Firebase Bear Cat The Republic of Viet Nam and my final year at Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville Al.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
Army 66-69
Ft. Bliss, TX
Ft. Gordon, GA
Ft. Riley, KS
Naval Air Station, Corpus Christy, TX
1st TC Battalion, Seaborn, USNS Corpus Christy Bay, off of Vung Tau

Last edited by Richard; 09/26/2023 5:36 PM. Reason: spelling

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thanks for your service Richard.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
Sorry for being late to formation.
Joined the Air Force right out of high school. Grew up in Killeen, Texas ( Fort Hood ). Laying in bed on those cold winter nights during my senior year of high school I could hear those big guns going off out at Ft Hood and knew the guys were out in the field on maneuvers. No way I wanted to wind up out there. It was 1961 and the draft was going to get me for sure. Hence, the Air Force.
4 years jet engine mechanic, Springfield, Mass.
4 years helicopter mechanic, Wichita Falls, Texas and then Viet Nam crew chief on Jolly Green Giant rescue helicopters out of Thailand and Laos.
A year break in service so I could get out of that career field and reentered as an air traffic controller (16 years). Finished out a 24 year career in 1986 retiring as a Chief Master Sergeant with three college degrees. Went on to teaching at a private college for 28 years. Spend my days now retired retired down here in rural Texas near my kids and grandkids mowing my 6 acres and working on old cars and trucks. Age 82, God has been really good to me.
Attachments
20230227_164407_copy_1600x1200.jpg (339.48 KB, 208 downloads)
20240513_135624.jpg (350.57 KB, 209 downloads)

Last edited by MickeyP; 06/17/2025 11:13 PM.

1956 3100 three speed 6 cyl. Stock with a few upgrades.
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
i joined the navy Seabees in July of 74. Went to boot camp at Great Lakes Ill. Went to A school at Port Hueneme Ca. to be a heavy equipment operator. Then off to Argentia Newfoundland. Spent a year and a half there ,Then to Gulfport Ms. to join NMCB 62 Battalion. There for 6 months , then deployed to Diego Garcia. south of the equator for 9 months back to Homeport in Ms. for 6 months and deployed again. went to Guam this time, My time was nearly done, so i was there for 45 days and back to homeport to prosses out. Also during homeport, I was part of a detachment that went to Providence R.I. to plow snow in the storm of 77 and 78. one other detachment sent me to Watertown N Y. for cold weather training . I got out in July of 78.Glad to do my time , but it was time to come home.


1941 Chevy 3/4-ton
"The Adventure Begins"
Follow the adventure in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Thanks for posting Paul. Did you stay with heavy junk after you got out?


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
hey John, No i did not stick with the heavy junk. i started doing the carpenter thing . I got into doing kitchen and bath remodels. lots of ceramic tile work as well. i should have kept track of how many tile showers and kitchen remodels it took to build a 41 chevy . my wife and I are retiring at the end of April . We are leaving Michigan and heading to northern Alabama . It may turn into a move. I hope she doesn't get any ideas about selling tools.


1941 Chevy 3/4-ton
"The Adventure Begins"
Follow the adventure in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Paul -- About to send a PM ...


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,712
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,712
Originally Posted by PaulH
lots of ceramic tile work as well. i should have kept track of how many tile showers and kitchen remodels it took to build a 41 chevy . I hope she doesn't get any ideas about selling tools.
It took me many bathroom/shower and tile floors to redo my '38. Also add in countless square feet of wood and laminate floors.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Sounds fair to me. LOL
Are wives allowed in here? I came with John for lunch. wink


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
hey Wayne Are you still at it. I have about 3 jobs left until i get the summer off,--- retire .


1941 Chevy 3/4-ton
"The Adventure Begins"
Follow the adventure in the DITY Gallery
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 19
Hi Peggy. as far as I know wives are allowed. Tell John if it turns into a move , ill keep his offer in mind. thanks.


1941 Chevy 3/4-ton
"The Adventure Begins"
Follow the adventure in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Haha! Paul, we're not going anywhere. The last DITY move. yahoo


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 119
Know I'm late to the formation. I've been on the Forum for yea number of years and have not gotten this far. I went into the Air Force in 1966, on the promise of becoming an Aircraft engine mechanic. Lo and behold, they stuck me in Electronic Countermeasures Technician school. Washed out of there (Keesler AFB), got stuck in Base Operations (Travis AFB), then to Hickam AFB Base Ops for six months. From there to Mactan AB working in Aircrew Manning, Got shuttled up to Clark AB when Mactan shut down. From there back stateside to once again Travis AFB. After all that, my intentions of making a career out of the AF went out the window, and I went Johnny Paycheck on them---Take this job and s@#$e it!

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
I thought I had posted on this thread before, but I scrolled through the whole thing and did not find anything.

U.S. Army from May,1970 - Jan. 1972.

Spent 15 months as an MP on Okinawa. Got in on a little of the Koza riot in '71, also helped with traffic control on Operation Red Hat, where they moved all the left over chemical munitions off the island.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
1978-2008. Tank mech. Tank turret tech. LAV mech. Retired CWO5 maintenance officer


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 116
Oct 1990-1992. Grapnel man- Camp Giant Korea, fort Lewis Washington.
1993 1 year break in service.
1994-2002 Fort Polk, Fort Wainwright (E5) team leader, Sinai egypt, Fort Leonard wood (E6 S3)
2002-2018
OCS,
Fort Leonard Wood (Company executive officer)
2007 Iraq MiTT (CPT/ 50 Gunner/ advisor) Lived with Iraqi military, went on missions with them.
Fort leonard wood (company commander)
Minisota State university Army ROTC, (MAJ)
Fort leavenworth,
Saudi Arabia,
Germany, Squadron/Batalion (S3/XO)
Wentworth Military Academy Army ROTC
University Missouri KC Army ROTC
Retired.
E1- E6 (12B Combat Engineer) OCS- O4 (Engineer Officer)

All my stories begin with "when I was in the Army".

Essayons to all my Engineer Brothers and sisters.

Last edited by Rock49; 09/11/2026 4:06 PM.

Rock49 aka C-Rodg
work in progress
1956 Chevy 3100
261 engine
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Achipmunk, John Milliman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0