Originally posted by Truckedup:
I also love the stories of the 60's muscle cars that went 160 mph,the highest documented top speed I ever saw was about 140 mph for a Hemi Roadrunner with automatic and 3.23's.With 3.70 gears for acceleration,most muscle cars were limited to 120 or so.I used to drag race bikes, watched the stock muscle cars on the track between rounds.90 percent of then barely broke in the 14's in the 1/4 mile.
My '69 Javelin would bury the speedometer a ways past 140. May not have been real accurate at the top end, but you knew you were flying. 343, Carter AFB, Turbo 400 adapted from a Jeep truck, not sure of the rear end gears. The tach was a little over red line, though, red line was 4500 if I recall...
That thing would stop too, Dual caliper front disks. I loved it. I was much younger and dumber back then. I'd be scared to death to go that kind of speed now.