Originally posted by Rich'sToys:
The story, or legend that we used to hear was about the railroad car that sat abandoned on some siding out in the desert for years and years. When it was finally opened up, it was full of brand new 1948 (or pick your year) Chevy cars. Amazing how none of these have ever surfaced either!!!
My Uncle Hollis told that one, only it was '57 Chevies and he found it himself in the '60s. He said that they were on a railroad siding to an old defunct sawmill in the Missouri bayou country where he used to hunt and fish. (He grew up there.) He said the insurance company claimed the cars and he couldn't even buy one of them, but it was no big deal because at that time they were just a few years old.
You mean he was lying? I always believed him:
a.) Because I was young and impressionable.
b.) Because he had the coolest '58 Apache pickup I had ever seen (in the '70s... I had a '47 3100 at the time).
c.) Because he home canned the meanest pepper sauce I had ever tasted.
d.) Because he had a story for any occasion.
e.) Because you just had to love my uncle Hollis.