Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I my e-brake cables are disconnected from the tensioning parts of the setup. But that also caused some aggravation as the cable end unhooked from the lever when there was no tension on it.
Thanks for confirming that the flat spot on the extension rod pointing out is correct!
What I was wondering about which direction they should be pointing when installed, are the pins that work with the conical springs (Group 5.046) that hold the shoes against the backing "flange" plate. I was having real trouble seeing the one behind the e-brake lever. Perhaps the next time I work on the brakes I will pull the axle to make access easier! (I sure hope that when I get this project driving, that I don't find out at that point, that I need to re-do the differential!)
John, I think I recognize some of the stuff growing in your second photo! Mine looked almost the same!