Well, I read over the shop manual and purchased the Herbrand 188 pliers and figured that I was ready to dive in to pulling the rear brakes apart...
The first thing the shop manual says to do is to remove the brake shoe retracting spring with the special pliers.
The photograph in the manual shows pliers that may (or may not) be the same as the ones I understood to be recommended for working with huck brakes (Herbrand 188), but it doesn't show how it is engaging with the shoe retracting spring. I looked at it for a while and, perhaps because it is almost midnight, I couldn't come up with a way to use the pliers (or anything else) to remove the spring.
It can't be all that complicated! What am I missing? Please let me know what you have done to get this spring off. I searched the internet and found a lot of long-winded folks working with Huck brakes, but none showed how they got this spring off...and it is the first step!
It is probably dead simple, but right now I am stumped!
Nick 1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project (with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame) Taos, New Mexico