On the front wheels there is an "oil deflector" between the inner wheel bearing and the steering knuckle. In the manual, it says that one should make sure that this deflector is in "its proper place between the inner bearing cone and the shoulder on the knuckle spindle".
What I think is the "shoulder on the knuckle spindle" is very narrow and I have not figured out a way to get the "oil deflector" to stay in place for any time at all.
I have even considered some glue of some sort that would hold it just long enough to get things assembled...but I may be overlooking something obvious.
If the oil deflector is out of place when the drum is installed, it will keep the whole assembly from sliding onto the spindle as far as it should go.
The attached photo shows the issue.
Any suggestions are very welcome!
Nick 1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project (with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame) Taos, New Mexico