Thirty years ago (1996) I did the brakes on my '38 pickup, I was able to use a channel lock to squeeze the pin spring enough to get the circular clips on. Last year I did the brakes again but this time the channel locks didn't work for me, so I used vise grips that I was able to place against the shoe table and the top of the pin and squeezed the vise grips to hold the spring in place so I could get the clips on. I probably won't do the brakes again, however I looked at the special tool on Ebay and just might get it just to have it.
Nick, if you're reading this, I would suggest get as many new parts as you can, especially new steel lines, and of course all rubber parts. Brake fluid is your choice, when I did my brakes thirty years ago I used Silicone (dot 5) and have had no leaks and have a firm pedal. Good luck with your brake project.
Glen
1938 half ton pickup