Jon, I've got an old Delta-Rockwell drill press that I've modified with a second motor and a bunch of pulleys to have 24 speeds available, but it's a little too light duty to do the block boring I'm thinking about. I'm shopping for something like a Powermatic floor model, or maybe something similar, with a geared power head instead of a belt drive. They show up on Ebay pretty often at fairly reasonable prices. I believe the spindle speed would need to get down around 100 RPM or slower for that big cutter to work properly. The milling fixture I'm designing will have a universal joint in the drive system, so a perfect alignment under the spindle probably won't be necessary.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!