questions:

Does the Chevy crank have a slinger built in? This is a picture of the rear journal & main of my GMC 302 showing its slinger.

Do I need to remove the crank to clean up the surface where the rope seal has left deposits or can I just rotate the crank cleaning a small portion at a time? I have another early (no zip code on the package, so probably earlier than 1963) rope seal still in the original GM packaging.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg (120.01 KB, 78 downloads)

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 05/21/2023 6:07 PM. Reason: forgot picture

'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.