No, I don't think so. Usually that is done to try to make the upper seal fit tighter against the crank surface...after a problem is already in play. The whole plan is to do something (anything) to help stop the leaking without taking that upper rope seal out. Replacing that upper seal with a new one while the engine is in place and not having it leak doesn't always happen.

If I were in your shoes and my engine was upside down on the stand I'd remove the crankshaft and install a Speedi-Sleeve on the rear crank surface (with some red threadlocker) and then I'd use the neoprene seal. I think the part number was 99386 but you ought to check me on that. You want the sealing surface of the crank to be as smooth as possible. Whether the Best Gasket seal is okay I can't say, however.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end