50GMC253,
I don't think it's fair to condemn all dealerships
because you've had a bad experience. I've been working for GM for 20yrs, and take pride in my work, like all the other guys in the shop. When we service a vehicle, all that experience goes into it. We have one of the highest CSI ratings in our zone. I get tired of hearing, "don't take your car to the dealer, they'll rip you off!" Case in point; A woman came into the shop with a box of brake parts. She said; "Midas told her another 10 minutes, and you'd be dead!" They replaced...get this...master cyl,calipers, rotors & brake pads!! This was on a 2003 Bonneville. She asked for the old parts. They refused to give her the hydraulic parts beacause of the core charge. She brought in the pads & rotors, and wanted to know "why they needed to be replaced?" Factory spec on a new GM rotor for that vehicle....1.258".
I measured the rotors.....you guessed it...1.258".
There was also 5/32 of bonded material left on the pads. Took this lady for a real ride. How does that guy sleep at night?!? Good Year also tried the same trick with my brother in law's van.
All I did was replace the pads. They told him he "overheated the whole system" and "all the hydraulics had to be replaced." I can't remember the last time I had to replace a caliper on any GM vehicle!! And by the way, we get $14.95 for a lube service by experienced, factory trained technicians. The same guys that do all the other vehicle repairs. We don't have "monkeys" in "lube suits"!!!!!

Rant over!!

Jim Sgrig


"I can go anywhere...for I am a Piewagoneer...To the Piewagon"

1966 Chevy Panel Delivery 1966 in the Gallery and more on Webshots