Speaking of overkill, let’s talk about wire gauge and main power distribution. The factory diagrams, along with the “amp//wire gauge/wire length” chart I’ve been using…suggest that 10 gauge is probably adequate for the run from the starter to ammeter, and ammeter to voltage regulator.
I’ve read quite a few threads on the topic, and there have been some suggestions of running 8 awg for this purpose. I suppose it depends on accessories and if one is running a higher output alternator.
I’m keeping the generator for now, but will not completely rule out an alternator someday. I have crazy plans for high draw accessories. The truck has period chicken lights and a spotlight. Nothing major there.
The only thing that ~might~ happen someday that would pull some amps, is a 12v compressor to make the roof mounted airhorn functional again. The PO had an engine driven compressor and large tank. I removed the compressor soon after the truck purchase to simplify the engine revival. It was in the way and obsolete.
Anyway- 10 gauge or 8?
Last edited by JW51; 03/10/2023 8:21 PM.