kb3: Yes, the subject article is in the current issue of Vintage Truck.

I'm not looking to start a debate here and in fact the first words of my article are "I don't want to open a flood-gate of opinions about engine oils and what works best for what engines, but I do want to caution readers that recent changes in engine oil formulas potentially have a significant affect on vintage engines."

My hackles definitely go up a bit when dismissive remarks about my work are advanced without any supporting facts. I spent many months doing the research and this topic was discussed at length on our oldGMCtrucks boards, the Inliners boards, and in the engine rebuilding community. This was not a topic which simply fell out of the BS tree one day and I printed it.

The point of my article was to raise awareness that "things have changed" in oil forumulas so be careful. I didn't suggest that others change from what they've done, but I did point out that I chose to make a change to diesel formulated oils on my gasoline engines after years of brand loyalty and flawless performance using Castrol GTX. Others for whom I have tremendous respect have not made any adjustments to their oil choices in their flat tappet engines. It is a personal issue and oil loyalty is second only to old truck brand loyalty.

I also point out, as tclederman correctly did, that all the data I collected (particularly that from the AERA) focused on break-in periods as the time frame for these problems and they only suggest use of these protocols during break-in. I personally have chosen to run with diesel oils and additives beyond break-in on all my motors (not just vintage). It is my opinion that if the reduction in these important lubricant additivies is sufficient to wipe a cam in 500 miles during the initial break-in phase, then I can't see how it could not still contribute to excessive wear beyond the break-in period.

Lastly, Mike Aldrich who is an engine builder that is the most knowledgeable engine guy that I have access to, told me to run diesel oils only full time. I do what Mike says since he builds my motors.

My drift on all of this is "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". But that doesn't mean others need to follow suit or listen to anything Chicken Little is squawking about.

Now, about that new paint job on my house...it's not gray and I don't want gray. [img]http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/smilies/poke.gif[/img] [img]http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/img]