Quote
Originally posted by atomarc:
Steve,

You are a victim of 'hype'! Everything you stated above is true so you have answered your own question. For your engine, any oil will work fine. If you have hydraulic lifters, all the better...a shock absorber between lobe and valve spring.

If you ruin your motor by selecting the wrong grade of premium motor oil, I will personally come to Turbo-town (SF) and paint your house two coats of your favorite colour/color, as long as it isn't grey/gray! grin

Stuart
Stuart: I am the author of the article you have characterized as "hype". Your timing is perfect because my house needs painting. Thanks for your offer! I am more than happy to provide the wiped cams for your review along with the tappets, which is what you have asked for so I'm ready to show them to you. Come on down - but don't forget your painter's pants.

You might want to proceed with caution in such offerings, unless of course your research into this topic has uncovered data that is contrary to that published by the AERA and all the other industry sources which I cited. I very carefully listed the sources of the information in an attempt to provide facts so you can do your own research. I invite you to help me publish a corrected article by showing me your facts so I can retract my "hype" statements.

In response to WhoMe's request "I wish when a tech. article is written like the one I mentioned the author would streamline the information to which types of engines and cams failed and or what the failure was and the empirical evidence that proved the failure. They just rattle on and confuse the issue even more with their pseudo science", well honestly I'm not sure where to begin there.

A good place would be for you to contact all of the sources I cited and review the very empirical data that you say is missing. I did exactly that - I not only cited the sources I gave details about the type and nature of these problems! Of course, one would need to read the whole article and then review the sources cited, but exactly what you ask for is there if you take the time to read it. WhoMe: are you looking for scientific answers, or just for something to attack behind the safe anonymity of the internet?

I respectfully point out that while atomarc expressed a strong negative opinion, he did not provide any factual details or data to support his view that my article is "hype". I think a review of the facts might make him reconsider his position. WhoMe, you ask for facts but quickly embrace the hype in this thread with absolutely no information. Which way do you really want it...facts or pseudo science? How much have YOU researched this topic before you jumped on the negative bandwagon?

I also find your comment "A little know fact is that the Chevron Oil Co. is the largest blender of oil and oil additives in the USA they have the largest test facilities in the world and blend oils for most of the major brands you see on the shelves today so its all comming from one company. For my 235 10-30wt and or 10-40wt is all "we" need." very interesting. Would you please provide the source of your data behind that statement you present as "a little know [SIC] fact"? When you say they are the largest blender of oil, is that gasoline engine motor oils or something else? We wouldn't want to advance any pseudo science here now would we?

While I try to keep an open mind with all opposing views, the preceding comments are quick to dismiss this problem but fall short of providing any facts to back up that opinion and view. Isn't that sort of thing what people refer to as hype?

The focus and central issue raised in the article is recent changes in gasoline engine oil formulations and how that is impacting vintage flat tappet engines. You spoke of the hydraulic lifter engine in a way that leads the person who started the post to believe because he has hydraulic lifters, his lifters are not flat tappets and he need not worry. Hydraulic lifters on his 235 are flat tappets - are they not? Please tell me how they are not - scientifically of course.

These engine oil formulation changes have all been within last 18-24 months and I wonder just how current an 84 year old mechanic is with American Petroleum Institute ratings and their respective changes in last few years. No disrespect to the individual, but one of these posts suggests that an 84 year old mechanic is more knowledgeable than the API, AERA, and other cited source, and that is a pretty amazing endorsement - but I'm sure the facts will be provided here to back up that view.

The purpose of the article was to raise awareness of changes in engine oil formulas that are affecting vintage engines adversely. If you are going to dismiss these chemical formula changes as "hype", then at least back it up with facts and data. I did on my article, so please show me your sources for your data.

If it was hype, the American Petroleum Institute, the AERA, Shell, Mobil, and HotRod Magazine all need to also hear from you so you can set them straight on this topic just as you have set straight the readers of the Stovebolt Page bulletin boards.

Good thing you guys are here to stop all this hype.

ohwell