OldCarKook,
This was a poor choice of words on my part. It wasn't directed toward the article you authored..I haven't read this article, although after the severe lambasting, I tried to find it.
The original question in this thread was from a member that wanted to know if reduced amounts of zinc in modern motor oils would adversely affect the camshaft and lifters on his fifty year old engine and lead to catastrophic failure.
My limited research led me to believe that a well broken in engine of this age, running a stock camshaft and stock valve springs was not a candidate for the failures associated with reduced levels of zinc in motor oils. Isn't this true?
Applications in the high risk category are flat tappet equipped vehicles running non-stock performance cams and valve trains. Isn't this what the Hot Rod article indicates?
You have obviously done lots of research on this subject and I have done little.
I think most members of this site need to know that their old engines will be fine on a diet of any quality motor oil.
Stuart