Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2021 Posts: 156 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2021 Posts: 156 | Now point your wheels straight ahead, disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, get a helper to hold the steering wheel dead still and try to move the pitman arm toward the front and rear. Doing this will cause your sector gear to work against your ball nut rack inside. With your wheels pointed straight ahead it should be snug, but let's see what happens when you try to move the pitman arm. With the pitman arm disconnected and my capable wife holding the steering wheel, there was very slight movement forward and back on the pitman arm. Also, up and down about the same very small movement. The wheel hub also had a very slight movement up and down and forward and back...maybe the king pin? It doesn't seem like these tiny movements would cause 3" steering wheel play.
54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system. JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 11/16/2023 4:24 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| WICruiser | 11/16/2023 8:52 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Wrenchbender Ret. | 11/16/2023 9:08 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/02/2023 10:44 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Otto Skorzeny | 11/16/2023 11:07 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Guitplayer | 11/17/2023 11:57 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 11/17/2023 5:36 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| hcb3200 | 11/20/2023 8:02 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| MNSmith | 11/17/2023 6:04 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Guitplayer | 11/17/2023 7:17 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Fibonachu | 11/17/2023 7:30 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Hanks custodian | 11/17/2023 7:33 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 52Carl | 11/21/2023 1:41 AM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Guitplayer | 11/26/2023 3:38 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/01/2023 8:47 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Hotrod Lincoln | 12/01/2023 9:25 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| klhansen | 12/01/2023 11:58 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Hanks custodian | 12/02/2023 3:08 AM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Phak1 | 12/02/2023 3:18 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/02/2023 3:56 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Hotrod Lincoln | 12/02/2023 5:37 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Phak1 | 12/02/2023 1:24 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Otto Skorzeny | 12/02/2023 11:55 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Fibonachu | 12/03/2023 12:59 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/05/2023 6:19 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/05/2023 10:35 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/05/2023 11:43 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 12:14 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/06/2023 12:38 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/07/2023 5:48 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/06/2023 1:41 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Mike B | 12/06/2023 1:58 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/06/2023 2:21 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 5:59 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/06/2023 8:53 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 9:03 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Mike B | 12/07/2023 3:35 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JW51 | 12/07/2023 6:16 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/07/2023 7:59 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/07/2023 8:19 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/07/2023 8:39 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/08/2023 2:50 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/08/2023 2:59 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/08/2023 6:20 PM | |
| |