The 3" play is simply holding a tape measure at the steering wheel when it is centered and then rotating, watching the horizontal bar (the one you can grip while you're driving). 3" of travel is measured before wheels begin to move. I sure do hope it is normal. I still have enough headaches to deal with before it is roadworthy. The truck is in my garage with concrete floor. I could only hope it is an adjustment in the steering box. I don't know anything about adjusting it. There is a square shaped screw.
If you are running the stock steering wheel remember it is larger than your typical steering wheel today.
As in more circumference therefor more travel distance vs todays wheel.
start wheel down any play in spline and wheel itself.
then get under the truck one hand on the steering shaft other on pitman arm.
have someone turn the wheel very slowly left and right. you should see a very minimal difference if any on engage time from wheel shaft movement to pitman start of movement.
Next check all your joints. drag link ends tie rod ends if there is no play in those. check off the ground on the ground etc.
A little bit here and there will add up to some "slop" but after you get it all tightened up it should have a small very little play but there will be some based on non modern parts.