Originally Posted by 1Ton_tommy
These GM steering boxes are the recirculating ball type. They use a lighter weight grease than some others such as cam-and-lever. Make sure you sue the specified grease. As I recall cornhead grease comes in several viscosities; the heavier ones not only won't run out of the box through leaking seals, they won't lube the balls in the recirculating mechanism.

What Tommy said is correct. I mix cornhead grease and 90 weight oil until I get something that resembles Jell-O before it sets up. That way the balls all get lubricated and there's no chance of the grease channeling in cold weather. If the grease is too thick to pour into your steering box (through the hole designed for that) it isn't going to distribute correctly inside your box. If you will replace the pitman seal and the thin gasket on the adjustment plate and use some Permatex on your worm shaft nut these won't leak at all.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end