Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,448 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 | WITH NOTHING CONNECTED TO THE STEERING GEAR OUTPUT SHAFT- - - - -EITHER REMOVE THE PITMAN ARM OR DISCONNECT THE TIE RODS- - - -
Find the center point of the steering gear by turning the gear lock to lock and count turns as you do.
Back up halfway. This should put the sector gear at the "zero clearance" spot.
Turn the wheel 1/2 to 3/4 turn away from center.
Using a deflecting beam or a dial indicating inch pound torque wrench, measure the turning effort to rotate the wheel at the steering shaft nut.
Tighten the sector adjusting screw until the turning effort goes up 10 inch pounds as the wheel crosses the center point.
Tighten the lock nut- - - -the preload is adjusted.
If the torque goes up, drops at center, and goes up again, the steering gear is worn out - - - -repair or replace it.
THE ABOVE PROCEDURE WORKS ON ALL WORM AND SECTOR STEERING GEARS, POWER OR MANUAL, REGARDLESS OF MANUFACTURER.
Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 11/16/2023 4:24 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| WICruiser | 11/16/2023 8:52 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Wrenchbender Ret. | 11/16/2023 9:08 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/02/2023 10:44 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Otto Skorzeny | 11/16/2023 11:07 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Guitplayer | 11/17/2023 11:57 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 11/17/2023 5:36 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| hcb3200 | 11/20/2023 8:02 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| MNSmith | 11/17/2023 6:04 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Guitplayer | 11/17/2023 7:17 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Fibonachu | 11/17/2023 7:30 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Hanks custodian | 11/17/2023 7:33 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 52Carl | 11/21/2023 1:41 AM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Guitplayer | 11/26/2023 3:38 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/01/2023 8:47 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Hotrod Lincoln | 12/01/2023 9:25 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| klhansen | 12/01/2023 11:58 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Hanks custodian | 12/02/2023 3:08 AM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Phak1 | 12/02/2023 3:18 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/02/2023 3:56 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Hotrod Lincoln | 12/02/2023 5:37 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Phak1 | 12/02/2023 1:24 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Otto Skorzeny | 12/02/2023 11:55 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Fibonachu | 12/03/2023 12:59 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/05/2023 6:19 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/05/2023 10:35 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/05/2023 11:43 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 12:14 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/06/2023 12:38 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/07/2023 5:48 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/06/2023 1:41 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Mike B | 12/06/2023 1:58 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/06/2023 2:21 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 5:59 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/06/2023 8:53 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 9:03 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Mike B | 12/07/2023 3:35 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JW51 | 12/07/2023 6:16 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/07/2023 7:59 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/07/2023 8:19 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/07/2023 8:39 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/08/2023 2:50 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/08/2023 2:59 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/08/2023 6:20 PM | |
| |