Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (RdsLessTaken, TUTS 59, Jay R, Otto Skorzeny, 68ironhead, Phak1, 1 invisible),
99
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,428 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 | The spec in the service manual is 1 to 1-1/2 lb with the sector adjustment completely loose and 2-2.5 lb with the sector adjusted at the center of travel of the wheel. Multiply that number by the radius in inches of the wheel (mine's out in my parts storage and not really accessible). That will give you the number of inch-lb you need. For instance if the steering wheel is 18" diameter, then the right reading on a torque wrench would be between 9 (9x1) and 13.5 (9x1.5) inch-lb for worm bearing preload and 18 to 22.5 inch lb with the sector adjusted correctly. Be sure to use the actual steering wheel radius, not my guess.  Chuck, I used a fish scale as that's what I had easily available. Yes, a trigger pull scale would be more accurate.
Last edited by klhansen; 12/02/2023 4:06 AM. Reason: revised to include both adjustment specs.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | |
Entire Thread
|
Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 11/16/2023 4:24 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| WICruiser | 11/16/2023 8:52 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Wrenchbender Ret. | 11/16/2023 9:08 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/02/2023 10:44 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Otto Skorzeny | 11/16/2023 11:07 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Guitplayer | 11/17/2023 11:57 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 11/17/2023 5:36 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| hcb3200 | 11/20/2023 8:02 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| MNSmith | 11/17/2023 6:04 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Guitplayer | 11/17/2023 7:17 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Fibonachu | 11/17/2023 7:30 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Hanks custodian | 11/17/2023 7:33 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 52Carl | 11/21/2023 1:41 AM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Guitplayer | 11/26/2023 3:38 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/01/2023 8:47 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Hotrod Lincoln | 12/01/2023 9:25 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| klhansen | 12/01/2023 11:58 PM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Hanks custodian | 12/02/2023 3:08 AM |
Re: Joe dudes issue.
| Phak1 | 12/02/2023 3:18 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/02/2023 3:56 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Hotrod Lincoln | 12/02/2023 5:37 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Phak1 | 12/02/2023 1:24 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Otto Skorzeny | 12/02/2023 11:55 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Fibonachu | 12/03/2023 12:59 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/05/2023 6:19 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/05/2023 10:35 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/05/2023 11:43 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 12:14 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/06/2023 12:38 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/07/2023 5:48 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/06/2023 1:41 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Mike B | 12/06/2023 1:58 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/06/2023 2:21 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 5:59 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/06/2023 8:53 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/06/2023 9:03 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Mike B | 12/07/2023 3:35 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JW51 | 12/07/2023 6:16 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| klhansen | 12/07/2023 7:59 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/07/2023 8:19 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/07/2023 8:39 PM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| JoeDude | 12/08/2023 2:50 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| Jon G | 12/08/2023 2:59 AM |
Re: Steering Wheel Slop, where do I start
| 1Ton_tommy | 12/08/2023 6:20 PM | |
| |