Originally Posted by Norcal Dave
Oddly, the face of it is not flat- it is cone-shaped……..the inner segment of the flywheel surface is “higher” than the outer segment. It is significant- laying a machinists square on the section where the clutch disc sits reveals that the flywheel surface “cones” upwards towards the center of the flywheel. I’m bringing it back to the machinist tomorrow. Cone shaped flywheel surface
That could be correct. When I had a flywheel resurfaced for my diesel truck, they asked if it was supposed to be flat or tapered (cone shaped). I had checked the specs and on that particular setup the flywheel surface is completely flat.
A cone shaped flywheel would make the disk engage first in the center (on yours), and then compress against the outer edges of the flywheel. That may be done for a smoother engagement.
But I have no idea what the proper specs (flat or coned) would be for your truck. The machinist (if he's worth his salt) should know the proper setup.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.